Re: [completeandutterrubbish] Octogenarians

  • mickcapewell
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
      >> Who are the cultural figures who have passed the age of 80 and are still
      >> with us?

      ****Max Bygraves must be knocking on too.
      What about James Last? Is he still swinging?
      Pete Murray the old DJ?
      How old's Tommy Docherty now?
      Brucie!!!!!!!!! (not Springsteen)
      Larry Parnes (is he still around?)
      How old is Bernie Ecclestone? He looks about 156.
      The Thatch!!!!
      And then there's that old London couple, Liz & Phil....
    • mickcapewell
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
        >>> Who are the cultural figures who have passed the age of 80 and are still
        >>> with us?

        **** Oh, and what about that die-hard Springbok Rugby fan who looks like a
        pint of Guinness and had his garden done by Alan Titchmarsh and Co?
      • mickcapewell
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
          > Wow, Jimmy Saville is 83 now ( looked it up on google )
          >
          > Gaz

          ****When I was a lad watching him on Top Of The Pops back in the 60s he
          looked like an eccentric old geezer even then...and that's because he was!
          :-)
          Actually, seeing as he's always claimed to have errr...'known' (in the
          biblical sense) plenty of ladies, I'm amazed that he's never been stitched
          up by the tabloids, especially with his 'Saint Jim' image....all of those
          charity marathons, working at children's hospitals etc etc.
          Personally he drives me up the wall, and always has done, but no-one can
          deny that he's always been different. I always thought he should have been
          Dr Who :-)
        • Steve McGhee
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
            .
            > What about James Last? Is he still swinging?

            **He sure is.....numerous gigs planned for 2010....and he turns 81 in April.

            > Pete Murray the old DJ?

            **Yep.......turns 85 this year.

            > How old's Tommy Docherty now?

            **He's 82 this year - but would still take his life in his hands if he set
            foot in Derby again.
            Worst manager in our history? I'd say so.
            I passed within 5 feet of him once - should have punched his lights out but,
            before I knew it, the
            chance had gone :-(
          • Steve McGhee
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
              Joan Collins and Sophia Loren must be knocking on a bit now, no?

              How about Welsh actor Kenneth Griffith? (ex-"The Prisoner")

              It's 64 years since Derby won the FA Cup but two members of their team are
              still on the go and well over 80 now (if not nearer 90).
              Reg Harrison and Jim Bullions.
            • mickcapewell
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
                Jim Bullions.

                ****Was he a centre forward? If he was playing today I can see the Sun
                headline "Goal-ed Bullions!"
              • Steve McGhee
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
                  > Jim Bullions.
                  >
                  > ****Was he a centre forward? If he was playing today I can see the Sun
                  > headline "Goal-ed Bullions!"

                  **Jim were an old-fashioned, bald-headed, hard-as-nails (hey! 3 cliches in
                  succession!)
                  right-half.
                  He was an ex-miner as was right back and skipper Jack Nicholas.

                  In other words, when those two tackled, then no prisoners (ha, another
                  cliche) were taken.

                  How long would they have lasted in today's tippy-toe pansy-wansy Premier
                  League?

                  About 8 minutes, given what I read in the old "Empire News" match reports

                  Jack never smiled - even when he was handed the Cup in 1946, all he could
                  muster was a
                  gnarled sort of "what bloody use is this tinpot thing down t'pit shaft,
                  then" grimace.

                  Don't believe me?

                  Then look here......

                  http://www.browse-a-while.com/cigarette%20card%20topical%20times%20footballers%20panel%20portraits%20c1932%20to%201939%20j%20nicholas%20derby%20county.jpg

                  or try this facial expression...........MEAN or what??!!

                  http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/3094098.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=45B0EB3381F7834D43A39E5D104F020815F6EC8EA4C4CABB03AA0CF64F13FC89