4 new CDs

  • Greg Weatherby
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2009
      I was in San Francisco today, and swung by Amoeba Records. Picked up 4 CDs

      Upside Down World of John Pantry - finally!! this two CD set has proven
      elusive to find, but I finally got it, and a used copy at that, for
      $18.99 Fantastic, top to bottom
      Young Idea - With A Little Help From My Friends - 17 tracks, some quite
      good, but some pretty naff stuff there too, may not play this one all
      that often
      John Bromley - Songs - 28 songs and loads of them are quite nice, def a
      keeper
      Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby - big fans of the two of them ever since I
      saw them at Thee Parkside, in San Fran a while back; they put on a
      wonderful show

      Greg
    • mickcapewell
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2009

        Oi! Oi! Oi! Mott The Hoople had many wonderful tracks beyond ATYDs,

        **** That's wot I said! ;-)

      • mickcapewell
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2009
          Oi! Oi! Oi! DD,D,B,M & T made some great pop fluff records!

          **** That's wot I said too! ;-)
          Well...actually they made a few blinding psychy tracks too. Too many for a fleeting genius slot I reckon.
          What about a group like say...The Foundations? Pretty puerile pop is all I've heard from them. Is there a hidden gem from them somewhere?
          Or....someone like Chris "Yesterday Man" Andrews? Anything great amongst the bouncy two-bob bubblegum?

        • mickcapewell
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2009

            Bizzarely, I've never, ever seen this film!! Keep hearing so much about it but never have!! Sounds like I'm missing a treat!!!

            **** Doesn't it only last for twenty minutes or so? I think I remember it being shown on ITV once, in the middle of the night as a space filler.
            Isn't there anything in Engelbert's catalogue with a bit of wah-wah guitar and y'know...him letting his hair down for a bit?
            To be honest I don't reckon Tom Jones even qualifies in the FG section. Nothing he's ever done has been any good IMHO  Not, I hasten to add, that I have gone out of my way to actually listen to his stuff :-)
          • roger purbrick
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2009
              mickcapewell wrote:

              > Or....someone like Chris "Yesterday Man" Andrews? Anything great amongst
              > the bouncy two-bob bubblegum?

              No. It's all bouncy catchy pop. I rather liked one of his B sides "It's
              All Up to You Now", not that it's that great really but I like the way
              he sings/shouts it.

              ---
              cat
            • mickcapewell
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 1, 2009
                No. It's all bouncy catchy pop. I rather liked one of his B sides "It's All Up to You Now", not that it's that great really but I like the way he sings/shouts it.

                **** Sometimes that's all it takes to turn rubbish into accidental genius. Notice how many times you read in interviews with musicians that they don't like their best song and wish they could do it again. They always appear to think that they could do it better when they should really accept that the original was just a happy accident and nothing much to do with them :-)
                It's always "The mix is wrong"..."I don't like the way I sing it" or "the producer didn't know what he was doing and he should have let me do it how I wanted to..." etc etc
              • Steve McGhee
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
                  > How about some 'All the Young Dudes' by Mott the Hoople Mick, I didn't
                  > know
                  > David Bowie wrote that, but it sent Ian Hunter on to fame, if briefly...
                  >
                  > **** Noooooo....Mott did loads of other great stuff! All The Way From
                  > Memphis...Saturday Gigs...Roll Away The Stone...One Of The Boys...and
                  > that's
                  > just the CBS Glam Rock days, never mind the earlier Island stuff.

                  **Have to say......."Honaloochie Boogie" gets my vote for #1 Glam Rock 45 of
                  all time.
                  Bought it when I was 11, sounds just as good now as it did then!
                  Didn't care for the b-side ("Rose") at the time but now I can appreciate it.
                • Steve McGhee
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
                    No Elvis fan, me...quite the opposite...but can I say he did do one
                    brilliant 45.
                    Mind you, don't even know the name of it.

                    Something about how the girl he's going out with has everything a girl
                    should have - only she's not "her".

                    "Her" referring to his true love/girlfriend.

                    Who presumably has ditched him and he's out on the pull again but still
                    hankering
                    after "her".

                    Know the one I mean??
                  • mickcapewell
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
                      Know the one I mean??

                      **** I reckon it's his 1962 #1 "She's Not You".
                      Personally I reckon his only moment of genius is the laughing version of Are
                      You Lonesome Tonight ;-)
                    • Steve McGhee
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
                        > I'm after artists who made thirty crap records (even if they were
                        > successful) but in the middle of the garbage recorded something
                        > great...almost by accident or whatever.

                        **Not that Matt Munro is garbage - no way! - but I'd love to hear
                        what came out of that one session he had in 1967 when he decided
                        to turn up in paisley pattern and have joss-sticks lit up in the studio.
                        Rumour (and you know what that's like) has it that at least one Beatle
                        poked his head thru the door to sample the music on display.
                      • Steve McGhee
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
                          You are missing a treat - the star of the movie is the location.
                          It's not so much Swinging London as Swinging Suburban London.
                          As in "Blow Up" - but sunnier and quieter and more colourful.
                          Come to think of it I must have the EP somewhere in this Aladdin's Cave of a
                          flat :-)

                          Bizzarely, I've never, ever seen this film!! Keep hearing so much about it
                          but never have!! Sounds like I'm missing a treat!!!

                          Englebert Humperdinck - "Les Bicyclettes des Belsize"........well, I love
                          the movie and this song
                          fits the opening scenes perfectly.
                        • Steve McGhee
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
                            > I was in San Francisco today, and swung by Amoeba Records. Picked up 4 CDs
                            >
                            > Upside Down World of John Pantry - finally!! this two CD set has proven
                            > elusive to find, but I finally got it, and a used copy at that, for
                            > $18.99 Fantastic, top to bottom

                            **Ah - it's released, then?
                            I'll start searching pronto.
                            Does a "used copy" of such a recent CD mean the owner played it a couple of
                            times, thought "ugh" and traded it in?

                            Philistine!
                          • Steve McGhee
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
                              Isn't there anything in Engelbert's catalogue with a bit of wah-wah guitar
                              and y'know...him letting his hair down for a bit?

                              **Isn't the b-side of "Release Me" just ever so slightly groovy?
                              "Ten Guitars" it's called, as I recall..........ashamed to say that, yes, I
                              do own the 45.
                              Jimmy Page is probably on it, after all.
                            • Greg Weatherby
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
                                More likely burnt it onto their comp and sold it back?

                                Greg