Marmalade Skies Hall Of Psychedelic Superlatives (MS HOPS)

  • mick capewell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006

      Once again I have to say thanks, this time for your great response to the MS HOPS poll. I've got out my abacus, checked and re-checked the scores and I'm now ready to announce the names of the first ten nominees into the Marmalade Skies Hall Of Psychedelic Superlatives.

      1--In top spot it's The Pretty Things. They might be best known to the world at large as scruffy purveyors of Rhythm & Blues but obviously Psych fans love 'em too.

      2-- The Beatles. The most famous group of all-time had to be in there of course.

      3-- The Pink Floyd. From Psych pioneers to Prog behemoths, the Floyd are omnipresent.

      4-- Kaleidoscope. They never had a chart hit but their reputation grows with every passing year.

      5-- Tomorrow. Mercurial and unlucky in their time but their classic recordings live on.

      6-- Blossom Toes. Recognition for another group who should have been contenders but missed out.

      7-- Creation. Pop-Art pioneers will no doubt decorate the HOPS in red with purple flashes.

      8-- Donovan. Thy humble minstrel is the only soloist to make it into the HOPS this year.

      9-- The Move. They were seen as Provincial Yobs by the In Crowd but they make it into the HOPS.

      10-- Tintern Abbey. One classic single was enough to gain them entry.

      In the Honorary Member category, one name stood out above the rest, gaining 43% of all votes cast. No prizes for guessing that John Peel is the first MS HOPS (HM).

      The second HM position gave me a problem because there was a 4-way tie for 2nd place. Inducting another 4 HM's is a few too many at the moment and so...I've decided that none of them will gain entry. However...3 of the 4 are best known for what they achieved in one particular place, and in fact this place did receive votes of its own. Sir George Martin, Geoff Emerick and Norman "Hurricane" Smith were all part of the team at Abbey Road Studios. The records that were made there include some of the absolute classics of British Psychedelia and so I think that it's appropriate to combine the votes for the 3 men named above and add the votes that were cast for the Studio itself, and award the 2nd honorary place in MS HOPS to Abbey Road Studios.

      The MS HOPS pages will appear on Marmalade Skies in due course, and there will be a grand inauguration ceremony, probably held at the Dog & Duck in Clapham, or somewhere equally prestigious.

      Once again, thanks for voting.

      Cheers

      Mick C