Re: [comic_books] Postage and Packaging from the US

  • Mark Chapman
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 18, 2008
      Lol, and it was only yesterday you were asking people to buy before your business goes down, hmmm wonder how many UK buyers you'll keep with 12 dollars postage for one comic!!

      You sell good stuff and I was going to buy more from you but, I fear that may not be the case anymore, oh well.

      From: John King <bickerstonehall@ yahoo.com>
      To: comic_books@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 1:38 AM

      Spiderman In Russian from Ukraine.

      Free Shipping!

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 18, 2008
        12 bucks for shipping to the uk, I think is fair. I am selling my books for a penny and shipping here in the us for 3.95 is leaving me a slim margin of profit. I don't usually ship to the UK, because I always get difrent shiiping prices from the US post office, and I end up eating the cost. So 12 bucks would be safe, it's not like I am charging $24.00 that would be unreasonable. I have lots of comics to sell, all in pretty damn good shape. I am going through a tough period here, and I am just trying to start on ebay see where it goes.
        BY THE WAY!! WHAT IS THE BLOODY DIFRENCE BETWEEN ENGLAND AND THE FREAKING UK!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!??!??!?!!??!?!?

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 18, 2008
          --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, onemx2000 <Onemx2000@...> wrote:

          > 12 bucks for shipping to the uk, I think is fair. I am selling my
          books for a penny and shipping here in the us for 3.95 is leaving me
          a slim margin of profit. I don't usually ship to the UK, because I
          always get difrent shiiping prices from the US post office, and I end
          up eating the cost. So 12 bucks would be safe, it's not like I am
          charging $24.00 that would be unreasonable. I have lots of comics to
          sell, all in pretty damn good shape. I am going through a tough
          period here, and I am just trying to start on ebay see where it goes.
          > BY THE WAY!! WHAT IS THE BLOODY DIFRENCE BETWEEN ENGLAND AND THE
          FREAKING UK!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!??!??!?!!??!?!?

          The difference is UK = England + Scotland + Wales + Norther Ireland.
          And England is just one part of the UK.
        • Ray
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 18, 2008
            According to shipping via USPS priority flat-rate packaging to the UK
            from the United states a a package holding upwards of 100 comics would
            cost about $50 USD

            a package holding upwards of 60-75 about $40

            lowest 1 TROY pound rate I see (approx 6-12 comics) is $10.30 USD

            this is based on USPS packaging costs and these prices will change
            about the 17th of janurary (postage rates increase)

            So if you are ordering from USA try to do so before that

            Speaking of that Anyone interesed in wheelin and dealing :) I would
            always offer choices in shipping of course

            Avg UPS shipping rate is usually 3 to 4 times the USPS rates
          • richard linthicum
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 18, 2008
              Check out a new website!  Tell me what you think?  Http:// Webstore.com/~yagottaluvit2

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 18, 2008
                Er, needlecraft????

                Check out a new website!  Tell me what you think?  Http:// Webstore.com/ ~yagottaluvit2

                > 12 bucks for shipping to the uk, I think is fair. I am selling my
                books for a penny and shipping here in the us for 3.95 is leaving me
                a slim margin of profit. I don't usually ship to the UK, because I
                always get difrent shiiping prices from the US post office, and I end
                up eating the cost. So 12 bucks would be safe, it's not like I am
                charging $24.00 that would be unreasonable. I have lots of comics to
                sell, all in pretty damn good shape. I am going through a tough
                period here, and I am just trying to start on ebay see where it goes.
                > BY THE WAY!! WHAT IS THE BLOODY DIFRENCE BETWEEN ENGLAND AND THE
                FREAKING UK!?!?!?!?!? !??!!??!? ?!??!?!!? ?!?!?

              • spiritmountain1600
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Part of the problem is that the Post Office seems to be giving you
                  different pricing on different shipping rates..Priority or whatever. I
                  have almost always had to eat shipping overseas. The U.S. seems to
                  overcharge for shipping overseas. I also pack my books very well which
                  contributes to the weight which adds to the charge. I will always let
                  the international buyer back out of the deal if he/she thinks the
                  shipping is too expensive however nowadays, because I refuse to eat
                  shipping anymore.

                  --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, richard linthicum <gethisone2@...>

                • markburbey@att.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 3, 2009
                    Unless an item will fit in a flat rate overseas package, the only way I've ever done it is to state that overseas shipping will be determined after the package has been weighed by the post office.  I've made a lot of money from overseas bidders in the past, so it's always been worth the extra hassle, and I've never had a complaint from bidders.  I'm certainly not going to trust a guesstimate based upon a similar-sized package.

                    Mark Burbey

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
                      A form of MEDIA mail is available to many key countries (but not all)
                      it is called M-BAGS in it it must be bulk printed material (mostly ink
                      or processed imagry such as comicbooks/magazines)
                      you must pay minimal weight allotment per shipment
                      (i think it's like 11 troy pounds may vary)
                      and they put the items in a huge bag (It can be sealed in a box or
                      boxes)

                      What they do with the medium price is charge a set fee for upo this
                      minimum weight regardless of weight (lets say $25 for upto 11 pounds)
                      after that they charge a fee pound per pound.

                      I have no idea what all countries accept this, howver I do know it is
                      available, if interested in more details call the USPS phone number at
                      1-800-ask-usps and ask for international shipping department

                      avg price on media mail is somewhere around $1-3 per troy US pound (may
                      vary) with a minimal initial fee like i said
                    • Mark Chapman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
                        I buy a huge amount of comics and memorabilia from the US and I have found quite a few over the top postage cost requests, but that is the beauty of ebay, there are so many sellers out there who do alot better deals than others.
                        Recently I bought a couple of gold key Star Trek comics from one buyer and he charged me only $4.00 for shipping, now that is awesome and a guarentee that he will get alot more custom from me.

                        I don't know about M-Bags, never heard of them here.

                        I sell Harry Potter figures occaisionally and these are the larger ones, the shipping charges to the US for each one of these is £6.47 GBP / $9.41 USD, each of these figures in their boxes and packed in a postal box with packing material comes to 620grams.

                        How much does a comic weigh??

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
                          Two points:   Isn't bulk printed material, by definition, material printed in bulk?  How would this apply to shipping single comics or magazines?

                          Also, I don't even use media mail for items sold within the US.  The post office has the right to open & inspect any and all packages shipped via media mail.   I pack my packages like I'm sending them to a war zone, and to have the p.o. take that all apart defeats my standard of service.

                          Complaints about shipping costs are only valid when sellers charge amounts that exceed the actual cost of shipping (not to include "handling"), like sellers who charge $7 or more to ship a DVD.

                          Mark Burbey

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
                            An average comic may weigh about 2 troy ounces possibly 3-4 there
                            are 16 troy ounces in a US pound

                            For example Me being in america to ship a 1 pound package of comics
                            at the lowest rate to the UK via USPS
                            would be (ignore m-bags for now)
                            $10.13 USD
                            a 3 troy ounce package about $3 (1 comic about)

                            maybe 5% less if i print my own stamps

                            thats about 6-8 comics then it averages $6 per troy pound after that
                            a box holding upto 110 comics would cost about $50 usd (flat-rate
                            box)

                            M-bags would be an option for people wanting A LOT like comics in
                            the hundreds, and have key issues sent via the higher rates

                            these prices are actual rates and do not include any postage and
                            handling fees

                            M-Bags i know ship from US but not sure vica versa, and not
                            available all countries

                            But remember these are CURRENT PRICES

                            january 17th prices change :)

                            so if anyone wants to deal before that let me know I will honor old
                            prices as long as we make a deal prior to that date

                            but rates are far lower than normal mailing

                            --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, Mark Chapman <chapmark64@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I buy a huge amount of comics and memorabilia from the US and I
                            have found quite a few over the top postage cost requests, but that
                            is the beauty of ebay, there are so many sellers out there who do
                            alot better deals than others.
                            > Recently I bought a couple of gold key Star Trek comics from one
                            buyer and he charged me only $4.00 for shipping, now that is awesome
                            and a guarentee that he will get alot more custom from me.

                            > I don't know about M-Bags, never heard of them here.
                            >
                            > I sell Harry Potter figures occaisionally and these are the larger
                            ones, the shipping charges to the US for each one of these is £6.47
                            GBP / $9.41 USD, each of these figures in their boxes and packed in
                            a postal box with packing material comes to 620grams.

                            > How much does a comic weigh??

                          • Kevin Warzecha
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
                              http://www.usps.com/international/mbags.htm
                            • Timothy Chin
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
                                Comics and magazines are printed in bulk.  Materials not bulk printed would be hand-written or typewriter materials.

                                In the US, the correct low cost service for comics is "Bound Printed Matter" <http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/boundprintedmatter.htm>

                                Trade paperbacks could be sent by media mail, since most trades that I remember don't reprint the advertisements seen in regular comics.