Question!

  • acesarewi1d
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18, 2007
      I am new to comic books. And I'm not sure which one I should start
      with. And which series (ex. 'Batman Chronicles' opposed to 'Batman
      W/e') should I go with? Just looking for opinions. I asked a friend and
      they say I should go with the Watchman.
    • Juan Wise

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18, 2007
          --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, "acesarewi1d" <acesarewi1d@...>
          wrote:

          > I am new to comic books. And I'm not sure which one I should start
          > with. And which series (ex. 'Batman Chronicles' opposed to 'Batman
          > W/e') should I go with? Just looking for opinions. I asked a
          friend and
          > they say I should go with the Watchman.

          How about any I worked on hehe (but thats marvel) If interested in
          marvel titles marvels main site ofers free on-line viewing of
          several titles. Would you like to see that link to that to read
          some and perhaps choose those? Let me know. Otherwise in dc Titles
          I like superman In most cases it is easier to follow than other
          comics and stories don't always get way too involved and hard to
          follow not knowing what wnt on before

          I can also get you a yahoo group more attuned to comic fans than
          this just e-mail me for that (don't if your a seller that yahoo
          groups not for that)
        • Pam A.
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 18, 2007
            Yeah, let me know that link please. I'm really clueless with this whole thing.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 18, 2007
              --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, "Pam A." <acesarewi1d@...> wrote:

              > Yeah, let me know that link please. I'm really clueless with this
              whole thing.

              Pretty simple for the comics is MARVEL.COM click on it -> DIGITAL
              COMICS <- some of them I helped to create

              It requires registering after reading so many pages but it's free to
              signup there's dozens of free to read full comics there

              At least pre reading one or more of the comics you have a better idea
              of which comic type stoies you might like
            • spiritmountain1600
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 19, 2007
                --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, "acesarewi1d" <acesarewi1d@...> wrote:

                Again, it is all up to you and your taste buds. Your friend is right
                about the Watchmen. It is considered by many as one of the best comics
                ever, but I wouldn't read that until later, it's a little weird. I
                also read mostly Marvel. In DC I do like some Batman stories and
                Justice Society of America is terrific, but Marvel has interesting
                titles like the Thunderbolts, Ultimates, and Runaways (these are the
                titles that I read and can recommend) and they usually have something
                interesting going on that you can pay attention to or not. Recently it
                was Civil War, which included the death of Captain America, now it is
                World War Hulk. Don't forget about Trade Paperbacks if you find
                something you like and want to catch up on a storyline. Civil War
                would be great for that.
                But don't forget the smaller publishing houses like Dark Horse who
                publishes all the Hellboy related comics! They also publish the new
                Joss Whedon book Buffy the Vampire Slayer that is so hot it just jumps
                off the shelves! Serenity as well. Everything by Joss Whedon will be
                gone before you get to the store it is that good. (The also write good
                Star Wars stuff if you are into that.)
                I would suggest that if the writer Alan Moore comes out with a book
                to pick it up (he wrote Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen).
                These are my suggestions, maybe a little confusing, but I hope that
                they help a little.

                > I am new to comic books. And I'm not sure which one I should start
                > with. And which series (ex. 'Batman Chronicles' opposed to 'Batman
                > W/e') should I go with? Just looking for opinions. I asked a friend and
                > they say I should go with the Watchman.

              • Mark Hershberger
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 19, 2007
                  I recommend checking out your local library for
                  comics. A lot of libraries have graphic novel
                  collections nowadays. My library system carries a wide
                  variety of material, including superhero stuff, DC's
                  adult Vertigo line, and more literay material ilke the
                  Joe Sacco's work, and Persepolis. Its a good way to
                  read a lot before taking the dive and spending money.
                  I personally recommend checking out Sandman by Neil
                  Gaiman. Its really well written and has gotten a lot
                  of non-comic fans into comics. And if you find
                  yourself getting confused when reading a superhero
                  comic, I find wikipedia.org is a good website to brush
                  up on character history. And you want to read a
                  specific character, like Batman, Amazon.com has a lot
                  of customer reviews you can use for graphic novel
                  recommendations. Hope we've all been helpful in some
                  way.

                  Mark Hershberger

                  --- spiritmountain1600 <spiritmountain1600@...>

                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC