Re: Actual Talk About Comics

  • Shelby Wayne Robertson <czechgrenade@hot
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 9, 2002
      --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Haines" <marcshaines@h...>
      wrote:

      > It's a shame that there are some truly beautiful books out there
      (both
      > written and drawn) that never share the collector's value spotlight
      like
      > some mainstream commercial crap that commands high dollar. Lucky
      for true
      > fans, they can have their 'dream books' for fifty cents apiece.
      > Anyone else have any real gems they want to share?

      Stray Bullets was great, and still is. 100% gets my money these days,
      and even though SpiderMan isn't necessarily known for it's genius
      storytelling, the Humberto Ramos books rocked in all aspects~
      As a creator, I'm 'trying' to focus more on the story rather than
      letting my properties become t and a books (which is probably already
      too late)~and the lady death revamp by crossgen should be excellent
      as well; something I'll make sure to emulate in my own DarkShrine book
      (s)~~~
    • Thornton <redbeardedguy@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 10, 2002
        I go through periods where I don't read comics at all, but I'm back
        into X-Men, Thor, Green Lantern, JLA, and various other marvel and dc
        things. I stopped trying to do independent stuff after Marvel bought
        the New Universe and destroyed it.

        I find X-Men quite readable. I missed the Genoshan holocaust, but
        the aftermath of that is very interesting. Mutant ghettos
        everywhere, Juggernaut turning semi-good and having an odd growly big-
        brother-like relationship with a fish-headed boy.

        I can't do SpiderMan. Too many spidey books, and I just don't care
        for having spidey and clone spidey and gawd knows what else. i did
        go see the movie. dunno if they'll ever get PP and MJ married on da
        big screen, but the movie was wayyyyyy better than that horrid 70's
        made for tv movie crap they tried. whoever that was in the 70's
        spidey suit couldn't do unarmed combat moves, or the choreographer
        sucked...

        I think Thor is interesting, but I'm wondering why the other marvel
        books aren't dealing with the consequences of, ahem, Mr. T meddling
        in mortal affairs...

        a question--what's your favorite line of dialog in a comic book?

        mine has to be from New Warriors. I forget the nickname of the
        kinetic energy guy, but one issue had them fighting Mandroids, and
        the kinetic energy guy is reacting to a warehouse door opening
        vertically by exclaiming:

        "UH OH--big feet!"
      • howard bagby
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11, 2002

          Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 2:33 AM
          Subject: [comic_books] Re: Actual Talk About Comics

          I go through periods where I don't read comics at all, but I'm back
          into X-Men, Thor, Green Lantern, JLA, and various other marvel and dc
          things.  I stopped trying to do independent stuff after Marvel bought
          the New Universe and destroyed it.

          I find X-Men quite readable.  I missed the Genoshan holocaust, but
          the aftermath of that is very interesting.  Mutant ghettos
          everywhere, Juggernaut turning semi-good and having an odd growly big-
          brother-like relationship with a fish-headed boy.
          I have tried several times over the last ten years  but have been unable to get into them. I enjoyed the
          original run and the restart with Giant-Size X-Men.

          I can't do SpiderMan.  Too many spidey books, and I just don't care
          for having spidey and clone spidey and gawd knows what else.  i did
          go see the movie.  dunno if they'll ever get PP and MJ married on da
          big screen, but the movie was wayyyyyy better than that horrid 70's
          made for tv movie crap they tried.  whoever that was in the 70's
          spidey suit couldn't do unarmed combat moves, or the choreographer
          sucked...

          I recommend the current Amazing Spider-Man. It is written by J. Michael Strazinski and for the first
          time in over 20 years I am enjoying it. The clone is no longer mentioned. Peter and Mary Jane are
          separated right now but there is supposed to be a resolution one way or the other in Amazing
          Spider-Man 50, due out in February. Sometime soon Strazinski will be starting a new spidey title
          and Kevin Smith will take over Amazing.

          I think Thor is interesting, but I'm wondering why the other marvel
          books aren't dealing with the consequences of, ahem, Mr. T meddling
          in mortal affairs...

          Thor is the only other Marvel Title that I read. I almost dropped. I was not sure what direction they
          were heading with Thor's meddling, but I like the way they are going. You bring up a good point
          with any comic book series. When world shaking events are taking place in one book why does
          no other title even mention it.
          Other books I read are all the Superman titles, Batman and Detective, JLA, JSA, Legion, Flash,
          Hawkman, Green Arrow, Star Wars, Liberty Meadows, The Tick, Noble Causes, and Fables.
          I am sure I am leaving something out.

          Take care,
          Howard

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 12, 2002
            I forgot about Legion!!! i love that comic--i'd quit reading Legion
            of SuperHeroes stuff years ago, re-vamping the group in this way
            works for me!!!