SCAM ALERT Miami Comics

  • jjpatrick2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
      I've recently lost a number of my trading card set to a scam that was
      advertised on this list. Mike (aemracerex@...) posted a message
      asking people that are selling their comic books to give hime a try
      (www.nextbits.com/miamicomics). It has been about 3 months since the
      post and 2+ months since I tried to make a deal (they offer to buy
      trading cards, comics and video games on their web site, which no
      longer exists).

      In hopes of getting my cards back (or fair compensation for them) I
      have filed a complaint with the Florida BBB and a mail fraud complaint
      with the USPS. I realize that I probably will never see my cards or
      the money for them, so I feel the need to warn everyone on this list
      about the scam.

      While this will not prevent my from continuing to deal with companies
      online, I will now limit my deals to companies that I have a history
      with.

      Jeff
    • Gordon
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2005
        --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, "jjpatrick2000" <jeff@t...>
        wrote:
        > I've recently lost a number of my trading card set to a scam that
        was
        > advertised on this list. Mike (aemracerex@y...) posted a message
        > asking people that are selling their comic books to give hime a
        try
        > (www.nextbits.com/miamicomics). It has been about 3 months since
        the
        > post and 2+ months since I tried to make a deal (they offer to buy
        > trading cards, comics and video games on their web site, which no
        > longer exists).
        >
        > In hopes of getting my cards back (or fair compensation for them)
        > have filed a complaint with the Florida BBB and a mail fraud
        complaint
        > with the USPS. I realize that I probably will never see my cards
        or
        > the money for them, so I feel the need to warn everyone on this
        list
        > about the scam.
        >
        > While this will not prevent my from continuing to deal with
        companies
        > online, I will now limit my deals to companies that I have a
        history
        > with.
        >
        > Jeff

        Jeff,

        While you and I (business-wise anyway) don't have a history. I do
        recommend to others the following.

        Check the website, when placing an order, for a working phone number
        and email addresses. Call if you're leary (remember cell phones
        don't have long distance charges) before placing an order or doing
        business with the website and ask about the product if you have to.
        Or email them in advance about product, be sure to ask for a phone
        number.

        I have dealt with a few others here, and try to treat everyone
        equally (isn't easy - yes, we're all different) and I always make
        available by business phone number, and if the potential buyer needs
        to speak with me during times I am not at work, I will send them my
        cell phone number.

        Sadly, you had to deal with such a problem first hand and I really
        hope you do get some satisfaction out of it.

        Gordon
      • Bradley Fenton
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          Sorry to hear that. I too was scammed by someone on this last last year. People like them
          really ruin the fun one can have in this hobby... And it's unfortunate for the honest traders
          who will always be regarded with suspicion becasue of the actions of these cons.

          However, I have met some very reliable and honest people through this list with whom I
          continue to do business with, but I will tread carefully when dealing with new people as I
          suggest you all do, even if you deal wit me, because afterall I'm just a cyber-stranger too...
          ;o)

          Happy hunting and trading!

          Brad