Re: [comic_books] FREE COMIC BOOK DAY

  • Michael Canfield
    Message 1 of 15 , May 8, 2005
      Yep. It's Diamond. You do have to PURCHASE a set number of books.
      It makes it a little difficult for the retailer..unless you figure it into your marketing budget.
      Sorry you did not get to partcipate this year.
      This years selection was not bad...solid, as you stated.

      Cheers!

      Michael
      Distant Realms Comics
      510-739-1101

      Message 2 of 15 , May 8, 2005
        My business is located in Rome, Georgia. About 50 miles north of
        Atlanta, 50 miles south of Chattanooga. I've been "in the biz" for 20+
        years now.

        Gordon

        --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, eric frey <rhadman83830@y...> wrote:
        > yo gordo own yourown comic shop? and if so where man ?whare ? pun
        intended tell me you just gotta eric frey comic fan 4 life
      • Gordon
        Message 3 of 15 , May 8, 2005
          Yes and no. Most of my customers told others, brought friends, etc.
          And the others came in from the newspaper article and the signage.
          Some of the new faces from last year became new customers, not
          everyone, but some. And that's a good thing, isn't it?

          Gordon

          --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, desmond mcquilkin <kid_zombie@y...>
          wrote:

          > someone wrote once that free comics day should be about distributing
          the comics outside of the shops because only people who frequent comic
          shops know about free comics day.
          > retailers, agree, disagree? you mentioned you saw new faces. were
          there new faces last year? did that translate into new monthly
          customers?

        • Gordon
          Message 4 of 15 , May 8, 2005
            Agreed! While I have an online shop for merchandise, new comic books is
            not one of the sections of the website!

            Gordon

            --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Canfield" <dcamville@e...>
            wrote:
            > Free Comic Book Day:
            >
            > If you like comics then PLEASE shop at your local retailer! On-Line
            shops are great...really...but they do cut into the "brick & mortar"
            folks in a nasty way (they usually have lower overhead and can take a
            lower level of needed profit).
          • Gordon
            Message 5 of 15 , May 8, 2005
              Allen,

              Where is the business located? Rome, Ga isn't exactly a major
              metropolitan city by any stretch of the imagination! We got newspaper
              coverage, some coverage from the radio stations (but not really worth
              mentioning as it sounded more like a byline) and great word-of-mouth
              promotions!

              Gordon

              --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, Allen Smith <metron12001@y...>
              wrote:
              > Unfortunately, I can't. My local dealer didn't participate in this
              year's Free Comic Book day, because of the policy by some of the
              participants (or Diamond?) requiring a minimum number of books to be
              ordered. And, the traffic created by Free Comic Book day was just too
              small to be worth being part of this promotion. Which is a shame, in
              previous years I've enjoyed some of the books, although I'd be hard put
              to say that many of the free comic books were of extremely high quality
              creatively, just good solid books, though.

              > Allen Smith
            • Gordon
              Message 6 of 15 , May 8, 2005
                Yes, it is through Diamond, and I did purchase a lot of books. But
                here's the thing to remember. These are promo books, and the issue a
                lot of retailers find the next day is "what to do with them."

                I give out the remainders at Halloween to trick-or-treaters. This is
                budgeted to have just enough left over for this event.

                Gordon
                Legends
                317 Broad St
                Rome, Ga 30161
                706-378-0086
                www.legendsinteractive.com

                <dcamville@e...> wrote:
                > Yep. It's Diamond. You do have to PURCHASE a set number of books.
                > It makes it a little difficult for the retailer..unless you figure
                it into your marketing budget.
                > Sorry you did not get to partcipate this year.
                > This years selection was not bad...solid, as you stated.
                >
                > Cheers!
                >
                > Michael
                > Distant Realms Comics
                > 510-739-1101

              • Allen Smith
                Message 7 of 15 , May 8, 2005
                  The shop is Empire Comics located in New Albany, Indiana.  It's a pretty nice shop, selling role playing game cards and figures, etc. as well as trading cards, and other things.  The owner, George Melton, is a nice guy and carries a pretty good selection of new comics, so I have no complaints.  He also posts his invoice for the week's coming comics so I know what will actually be in his shop a few days early as opposed to what is listed in Diamond's shipping list.  So, if I want to get any of the free comics, I'll have to go to the Great Escape in Louisville (across the river), but it will be Wednesday of next week as I'm broke right now.  They typically have copies left over of their free comics.  The Louisville area has several pretty good shops (Comic Book World is located in Louisville, also) so I can't complain at all.  And, Empire Comics is located two minutes from where I live, no hassle getting to the shop on comic book Wednesday.

                       Allen Smith

                  wrote:
                  > Unfortunately, I can't.  My local dealer didn't participate in this
                  year's Free Comic Book day, because of the policy by some of the
                  participants (or Diamond?) requiring a minimum number of books to be
                  ordered.  And, the traffic created by Free Comic Book day was just too
                  small to be worth being part of this promotion.  Which is a shame, in
                  previous years I've enjoyed some of the books, although I'd be hard put
                  to say that many of the free comic books were of extremely high quality
                  creatively, just good solid books, though.

                  >      Allen Smith

                  Yahoo! Mail Mobile

                • Gordon
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 8, 2005
                    Suggest to the owner to order a limited amount of the maing books, it
                    doesn't have to be a lot, and limits could be enforced (2 each, etc)
                    for the first time George tries it. Ordering the posters is a key
                    component too. Then go to the website, download the press release
                    and HAND DELIVER it to the new outlets in the area. While I didn't
                    make the limits that tough the first year we participated in this
                    event (I want to say we limited the freebies to 6 titles). Each
                    following year, we did better with the event and ordered more, with
                    the intent of using the left overs for halloween give-aways. Talk
                    with George between now and next year's event and see if he can find
                    this more agreeable. And, as posted earlier, support the brick and
                    mortar shops!

                    wrote:
                    > The shop is Empire Comics located in New Albany, Indiana. It's a
                    pretty nice shop, selling role playing game cards and figures, etc.
                    as well as trading cards, and other things. The owner, George
                    Melton, is a nice guy and carries a pretty good selection of new
                    comics, so I have no complaints. He also posts his invoice for the
                    week's coming comics so I know what will actually be in his shop a
                    few days early as opposed to what is listed in Diamond's shipping
                    list. So, if I want to get any of the free comics, I'll have to go
                    to the Great Escape in Louisville (across the river), but it will be
                    Wednesday of next week as I'm broke right now. They typically have
                    copies left over of their free comics. The Louisville area has
                    several pretty good shops (Comic Book World is located in Louisville,
                    also) so I can't complain at all. And, Empire Comics is located two
                    minutes from where I live, no hassle getting to the shop on comic
                    book Wednesday.

                    > Allen Smith
                  • eric frey
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 8, 2005
                      naturally i would itsm the feel of the comic shop that i like an all american feeling like going home again know  what i mean it dont matter local or if ive never been there before the comic shop is just home awat from home to me

                      wrote:
                      > The shop is Empire Comics located in New Albany, Indiana. It's a
                      pretty nice shop, selling role playing game cards and figures, etc.
                      as well as trading cards, and other things. The owner, George
                      Melton, is a nice guy and carries a pretty good selection of new
                      comics, so I have no complaints. He also posts his invoice for the
                      week's coming comics so I know what will actually be in his shop a
                      few days early as opposed to what is listed in Diamond's shipping
                      list. So, if I want to get any of the free comics, I'll have to go
                      to the Great Escape in Louisville (across the river), but it will be
                      Wednesday of next week as I'm broke right now. They typically have
                      copies left over of their free comics. The Louisville area has
                      several pretty good shops (Comic Book World is located in Louisville,
                      also) so I can't complain at all. And, Empire Comics is located two
                      minutes from where I live, no hassle getting to the shop on comic
                      book Wednesday.

                      > Allen Smith

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/aSIolB/TM

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                    • Johnny Chabolla
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 9, 2005

                        The Batman Hero Click was cool!
                        It's modeled after Jim Lee's alternate cover for Batman #608, right?

                        Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com