Re: [comic_books] FREE COMIC BOOK DAY

  • Allen Smith
    Message 1 of 15 , May 8, 2005
      Unfortunately, I can't.  My local dealer didn't participate in this year's Free Comic Book day, because of the policy by some of the participants (or Diamond?) requiring a minimum number of books to be ordered.  And, the traffic created by Free Comic Book day was just too small to be worth being part of this promotion.  Which is a shame, in previous years I've enjoyed some of the books, although I'd be hard put to say that many of the free comic books were of extremely high quality creatively, just good solid books, though.

           Allen Smith

      Gordon <draclock@...> wrote:
      We proudly gave out over 2000 comics so far today for FREE, along with
      the Batman Hero Clix and the mini-mates (until they were all gone) to
      each person who came in.  For Free.  No strings attached, no "you need
      to purchase $xxx to get X."

      It was great to see so many new faces, some of which I hope return.

      I hope each group member got the chance to visit their favorite shop
      today.  Care to share your experiences?

      Gordon

      Yahoo! Mail Mobile

    • Michael Canfield
      Message 2 of 15 , May 8, 2005
        Yep. It's Diamond. You do have to PURCHASE a set number of books.
        It makes it a little difficult for the retailer..unless you figure it into your marketing budget.
        Sorry you did not get to partcipate this year.
        This years selection was not bad...solid, as you stated.

        Cheers!

        Michael
        Distant Realms Comics
        510-739-1101

        Message 3 of 15 , May 8, 2005
          My business is located in Rome, Georgia. About 50 miles north of
          Atlanta, 50 miles south of Chattanooga. I've been "in the biz" for 20+
          years now.

          Gordon

          --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, eric frey <rhadman83830@y...> wrote:
          > yo gordo own yourown comic shop? and if so where man ?whare ? pun
          intended tell me you just gotta eric frey comic fan 4 life
        • Gordon
          Message 4 of 15 , May 8, 2005
            Yes and no. Most of my customers told others, brought friends, etc.
            And the others came in from the newspaper article and the signage.
            Some of the new faces from last year became new customers, not
            everyone, but some. And that's a good thing, isn't it?

            Gordon

            --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, desmond mcquilkin <kid_zombie@y...>
            wrote:

            > someone wrote once that free comics day should be about distributing
            the comics outside of the shops because only people who frequent comic
            shops know about free comics day.
            > retailers, agree, disagree? you mentioned you saw new faces. were
            there new faces last year? did that translate into new monthly
            customers?

          • Gordon
            Message 5 of 15 , May 8, 2005
              Agreed! While I have an online shop for merchandise, new comic books is
              not one of the sections of the website!

              Gordon

              --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Canfield" <dcamville@e...>
              wrote:
              > Free Comic Book Day:
              >
              > If you like comics then PLEASE shop at your local retailer! On-Line
              shops are great...really...but they do cut into the "brick & mortar"
              folks in a nasty way (they usually have lower overhead and can take a
              lower level of needed profit).
            • Gordon
              Message 6 of 15 , May 8, 2005
                Allen,

                Where is the business located? Rome, Ga isn't exactly a major
                metropolitan city by any stretch of the imagination! We got newspaper
                coverage, some coverage from the radio stations (but not really worth
                mentioning as it sounded more like a byline) and great word-of-mouth
                promotions!

                Gordon

                --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, Allen Smith <metron12001@y...>
                wrote:
                > Unfortunately, I can't. My local dealer didn't participate in this
                year's Free Comic Book day, because of the policy by some of the
                participants (or Diamond?) requiring a minimum number of books to be
                ordered. And, the traffic created by Free Comic Book day was just too
                small to be worth being part of this promotion. Which is a shame, in
                previous years I've enjoyed some of the books, although I'd be hard put
                to say that many of the free comic books were of extremely high quality
                creatively, just good solid books, though.

                > Allen Smith
              • Gordon
                Message 7 of 15 , May 8, 2005
                  Yes, it is through Diamond, and I did purchase a lot of books. But
                  here's the thing to remember. These are promo books, and the issue a
                  lot of retailers find the next day is "what to do with them."

                  I give out the remainders at Halloween to trick-or-treaters. This is
                  budgeted to have just enough left over for this event.

                  Gordon
                  Legends
                  317 Broad St
                  Rome, Ga 30161
                  706-378-0086
                  www.legendsinteractive.com

                  <dcamville@e...> wrote:
                  > Yep. It's Diamond. You do have to PURCHASE a set number of books.
                  > It makes it a little difficult for the retailer..unless you figure
                  it into your marketing budget.
                  > Sorry you did not get to partcipate this year.
                  > This years selection was not bad...solid, as you stated.
                  >
                  > Cheers!
                  >
                  > Michael
                  > Distant Realms Comics
                  > 510-739-1101

                • Allen Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 8, 2005
                    The shop is Empire Comics located in New Albany, Indiana.  It's a pretty nice shop, selling role playing game cards and figures, etc. as well as trading cards, and other things.  The owner, George Melton, is a nice guy and carries a pretty good selection of new comics, so I have no complaints.  He also posts his invoice for the week's coming comics so I know what will actually be in his shop a few days early as opposed to what is listed in Diamond's shipping list.  So, if I want to get any of the free comics, I'll have to go to the Great Escape in Louisville (across the river), but it will be Wednesday of next week as I'm broke right now.  They typically have copies left over of their free comics.  The Louisville area has several pretty good shops (Comic Book World is located in Louisville, also) so I can't complain at all.  And, Empire Comics is located two minutes from where I live, no hassle getting to the shop on comic book Wednesday.

                         Allen Smith

                    wrote:
                    > Unfortunately, I can't.  My local dealer didn't participate in this
                    year's Free Comic Book day, because of the policy by some of the
                    participants (or Diamond?) requiring a minimum number of books to be
                    ordered.  And, the traffic created by Free Comic Book day was just too
                    small to be worth being part of this promotion.  Which is a shame, in
                    previous years I've enjoyed some of the books, although I'd be hard put
                    to say that many of the free comic books were of extremely high quality
                    creatively, just good solid books, though.

                    >      Allen Smith

                    Yahoo! Mail Mobile

                  • Gordon
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 8, 2005
                      Suggest to the owner to order a limited amount of the maing books, it
                      doesn't have to be a lot, and limits could be enforced (2 each, etc)
                      for the first time George tries it. Ordering the posters is a key
                      component too. Then go to the website, download the press release
                      and HAND DELIVER it to the new outlets in the area. While I didn't
                      make the limits that tough the first year we participated in this
                      event (I want to say we limited the freebies to 6 titles). Each
                      following year, we did better with the event and ordered more, with
                      the intent of using the left overs for halloween give-aways. Talk
                      with George between now and next year's event and see if he can find
                      this more agreeable. And, as posted earlier, support the brick and
                      mortar shops!

                      wrote:
                      > The shop is Empire Comics located in New Albany, Indiana. It's a
                      pretty nice shop, selling role playing game cards and figures, etc.
                      as well as trading cards, and other things. The owner, George
                      Melton, is a nice guy and carries a pretty good selection of new
                      comics, so I have no complaints. He also posts his invoice for the
                      week's coming comics so I know what will actually be in his shop a
                      few days early as opposed to what is listed in Diamond's shipping
                      list. So, if I want to get any of the free comics, I'll have to go
                      to the Great Escape in Louisville (across the river), but it will be
                      Wednesday of next week as I'm broke right now. They typically have
                      copies left over of their free comics. The Louisville area has
                      several pretty good shops (Comic Book World is located in Louisville,
                      also) so I can't complain at all. And, Empire Comics is located two
                      minutes from where I live, no hassle getting to the shop on comic
                      book Wednesday.

                      > Allen Smith
                    • eric frey
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 8, 2005
                        naturally i would itsm the feel of the comic shop that i like an all american feeling like going home again know  what i mean it dont matter local or if ive never been there before the comic shop is just home awat from home to me

                        wrote:
                        > The shop is Empire Comics located in New Albany, Indiana. It's a
                        pretty nice shop, selling role playing game cards and figures, etc.
                        as well as trading cards, and other things. The owner, George
                        Melton, is a nice guy and carries a pretty good selection of new
                        comics, so I have no complaints. He also posts his invoice for the
                        week's coming comics so I know what will actually be in his shop a
                        few days early as opposed to what is listed in Diamond's shipping
                        list. So, if I want to get any of the free comics, I'll have to go
                        to the Great Escape in Louisville (across the river), but it will be
                        Wednesday of next week as I'm broke right now. They typically have
                        copies left over of their free comics. The Louisville area has
                        several pretty good shops (Comic Book World is located in Louisville,
                        also) so I can't complain at all. And, Empire Comics is located two
                        minutes from where I live, no hassle getting to the shop on comic
                        book Wednesday.

                        > Allen Smith

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/aSIolB/TM

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                      • Johnny Chabolla
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 9, 2005

                          The Batman Hero Click was cool!
                          It's modeled after Jim Lee's alternate cover for Batman #608, right?

                          Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com