Why are restored comic so downgraded What is your opinion?

  • fvz58
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
      Hi to all I have some slightly restored copies of big value books
      which I could never afford in the condition that I have them in. I
      rather have a comic that has a great appearance (Fine to VF) than a
      original that is in poor to fair which looks like toilet paper and
      is falling apart. I see originals with cover's detached- tears- big
      missing pieces-tape holding the spine, so it doesn't fall when you
      handle it, writing or water damage. These book values have more of a
      chance to go down, the more you handle it. Yet the the original fair
      to poor will bring more money than the Fine to Fine+ in the long
      run. Which would you rather have as a collector and as a investment?
      Thank You, for this is just my opinion.
    • spiritmountain1600
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
        This is an excellent question, and one that I think we as a group has
        to ask ourselves before all the old comics fall apart in front of our
        eyes. How many remaing copies of Action comics #1 are remaing in
        existince? I believe the proposed number is 100? That number is
        going to start falling if people don't start restoring their comics.
        But it is obvious that the comic community does not believe in
        restoration of a comic. I personally think that will change in the
        future, and would suggest buying restored golden age comics, but I
        could be wrong.

        But to your question, I would rather have the Fine to Fine+ anyday
        than a poor to fair book. It is obvious that you are bitter about
        some purchase. I hope it was a golden age book, and not a silver age
        or bronze age book, because the comic community really does not
        accept any sort of restoration the more modern you get.

        e-mail me if you want to talk more about it..

        Will at spiritmountain1600@...

        --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, "fvz58" <trzarro@a...> wrote:
        > Hi to all I have some slightly restored copies of big value books
        > which I could never afford in the condition that I have them in. I
        > rather have a comic that has a great appearance (Fine to VF) than a
        > original that is in poor to fair which looks like toilet paper and
        > is falling apart. I see originals with cover's detached- tears- big
        > missing pieces-tape holding the spine, so it doesn't fall when you
        > handle it, writing or water damage. These book values have more of
        > chance to go down, the more you handle it. Yet the the original
        fair
        > to poor will bring more money than the Fine to Fine+ in the long
        > run. Which would you rather have as a collector and as a investment?
        > Thank You, for this is just my opinion.
      • adam perlman
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
          I agree with both of you 100%.  While Silver age restored books might remain tough to sell, Golden age restored books are excellent purchases in my opinion.  They are very undervalued right now.  Take a book like Superman #1 for example.. (I only use this one because I have owned several copies of this book in the last few years and know quite a bit about it.. any golden age book will be pretty similar)

          There are roughly 100 copies of this book left in the world..  Of the copies that have been CGC graded to date, only ONE unrestored copy has ever come back higher than a 5.5 Fine-.  That one copy is a 7.5 VF-, and it sold for close to $250,000 recently.  (Double guide price)

          While one or two copies of a rare golden age book like this one may survive in pretty decent condition, most of the remaining copies of this book are completely falling apart, and will eventually be worthless if they are not restored.  And its pretty uselses holding out for an unrestored high grade copy because they don't exist.  So in the meantime, if you can pick up a 7.5 restored for $25,000 vs waiting around for the one 7.5 unrestoerd copy to become available for sale for $250,000... I would say the restored copy is a great purchase.  Most copies will need to be restored at some point anyway.  When you think about it... if you take an unrestored VG copy of Superman 1 (which would sell for $45,000, and restored it up to a VF, where now it will sell for $25,000, by improving the book its value has actually dropped by $20,000.)  It really doesn't make much sense, and I think the market for restored comic books is due for a correction.

          Personally I actually prefer a restored copy to an unrestored one, because it has allowed me to put together a MUCH larger collection than I ever would've been able to otherwise.  Restoration has allowed me to pick up high grade copies of Superman 1, Batman 1, Marvel Comics 1, All-Star Comics 3 (1st Justice Society), All-Star Comics 8 (1st Wonder Woman), and more all for a combined price that is considerably less than what one high grade unrestored Superman 1 would've cost me.  So as long as other collectors pass on restored comics, all I can really say is..  more for me :)

          Anyway.. my 2 cents.

          spiritmountain1600 <spiritmountain1600@...> wrote:
          This is an excellent question, and one that I think we as a group has
          to ask ourselves before all the old comics fall apart in front of our
          eyes. How many remaing copies of Action comics #1 are remaing in
          existince?  I believe the proposed number is 100?  That number is
          going to start falling if people don't start restoring their comics.
          But it is obvious that the comic community does not believe in
          restoration of a comic.  I personally think that will change in the
          future, and would suggest buying restored golden age comics, but I
          could be wrong.

          But to your question, I would rather have the Fine to Fine+ anyday
          than a poor to fair book.  It is obvious that you are bitter about
          some purchase. I hope it was a golden age book, and not a silver age
          or bronze age book, because the comic community really does not
          accept any sort of restoration the more modern you get.

          e-mail me if you want to talk more about it..

          Will at spiritmountain1600@...

          --- In comic_books@yahoogroups.com, "fvz58" <trzarro@a...> wrote:
          > Hi to all I have some slightly restored copies of big value books
          > which I could never afford in the condition that I have them in. I
          > rather have a comic that has a great appearance (Fine to VF) than a
          > original that is in poor to fair which looks like toilet paper and
          > is falling apart. I see originals with cover's detached- tears- big
          > missing pieces-tape holding the spine, so it doesn't fall when you
          > handle it, writing or water damage. These book values have more of
          > chance to go down, the more you handle it. Yet the the original
          fair
          > to poor will bring more money than the Fine to Fine+ in the long
          > run. Which would you rather have as a collector and as a investment?
          > Thank You, for this is just my opinion.

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • trzarro@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
            Well you 2 cents counts here. If not for the restored copies I would never be able to purchase some of the books in the condition I did.The way prices have jumped only the wealthy could afford these books,even some of the Silver Age. Ex Fantastic Four #1 in a Fine + is about $6000 according to Overstreet Guide I seen some slightly restored about $1200.00. and they look great inside and out. The $1200.00 I have a chance with alot of saving, the $6000.00 I would never be able to get one. $1200.00 according to the guide unrestored gets me maybe a Good + which can have missing pieces -spine split- tape detached at one staple- spine roll- pages are brown- etc would you spend that kind of money for something in that kind of shape for your hard earned money.
            Thanks for your time as I said it only my opinion
          • Greg Whistler
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2004

              I think that one of the reasons that restored comics get a bad rap and therefore a lower value is due to the crooks who try to pass a restored comic off as an unrestored comic.  In a perfect world, this stuff would happy and restored comics would get more respect for the beauty that they return to trashed comics.

              Of course this is not a perfect world.

              I also feel that restored comics are worth buying both in general desirability of the comic and the undervalued prices that you can get them for.

              I would buy them if I came across them.

              Greg Whistler