Re: Pricing info needed

  • spiritmountain1600
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 2002
      --- In comic_books@y..., "woodchip539" <woodchip539@y...> wrote:
      > I was able to get a ACTION COMICS #1 of June 1938.
      > It is the first ACTION Comics that has Superman appearing in it.
      For
      > the life of me I have taken this Comic to 4 Comic Book places and
      > they have not been able to find the item anywhere.
      > How Can I get this Comics Aprased!!!
      > Thank You
      > Ray :(

      This seems very odd to me. This is one of the most famous books in
      comic collectibles. Just a glance in a normal Overstreet price guide
      could tell you the average price for that book. The only possibility
      that I can see is that it is an Ashcan version of Action #1.
    • Chris Gullo
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2002
        Sir,
        How the hell did U get Action #1?!?!?!!? If U say
        U found it at a garage sale; I will HATE U!!!!! This
        is a comic book collectors dream!!!!!
        <SIGH> I am calm now. E-mail me a pic & I will try
        2 figure out its worth through condition. DO NOT TAKE
        IT TO A COMIC BOOK STORE!!!!! They will rip U off (If
        they want 2 buy it.) Look on comicsforcash.com (send
        to a message board) or even Yahoo!auctions. E-mail pix
        2 them as well. DO NOT SEND THEM THE COMIC IN THE
        MAIL!!! (sorry for all the yelling) U will never get
        it back!!! Also, leave word 2 spectre52@..., he
        seemed honest 2 me. Nice guy. I hope this helps Chris
        G. Rochester NY USA
        --- spiritmountain1600 <spiritmountain1600@...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2002
          --- Chris Gullo <jacig11@...> wrote:
          > Sir,
          > How the hell did U get Action #1?!?!?!!? If U
          > say
          > U found it at a garage sale; I will HATE U!!!!! This
          > is a comic book collectors dream!!!!!
          > <SIGH> I am calm now. E-mail me a pic & I will
          > try
          > 2 figure out its worth through condition. DO NOT
          > TAKE
          > IT TO A COMIC BOOK STORE!!!!! They will rip U off
          > (If
          > they want 2 buy it.) Look on comicsforcash.com (send
          > to a message board) or even Yahoo!auctions. E-mail
          > pix
          > 2 them as well. DO NOT SEND THEM THE COMIC IN THE
          > MAIL!!! (sorry for all the yelling) U will never get
          > it back!!! Also, leave word 2 spectre52@..., he
          > seemed honest 2 me. Nice guy. I hope this helps
          > Chris
          > G. Rochester NY USA
          > --- spiritmountain1600
          > <spiritmountain1600@...>
          > wrote:
          > > --- In comic_books@y..., "woodchip539"
          > > <woodchip539@y...> wrote:
          > > > I was able to get a ACTION COMICS #1 of June
          > 1938.
          > > > It is the first ACTION Comics that has Superman
          > > appearing in it.
          > > For
          > > > the life of me I have taken this Comic to 4
          > Comic
          > > Book places and
          > > > they have not been able to find the item
          > anywhere.
          > > > How Can I get this Comics Aprased!!!
          > > > Thank You
          > > > Ray :(
          > >

          > > This seems very odd to me. This is one of the
          > most
          > > famous books in
          > > comic collectibles. Just a glance in a normal
          > > Overstreet price guide
          > > could tell you the average price for that book.
          > The
          > > only possibility
          > > that I can see is that it is an Ashcan version of
          > > Action #1.

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • battleforitaly
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2002
            um... let me guess... the comic is rather thin, page-wise, like
            maybe 16, 20 pages or less... looks relatively new, cover paper
            is the same as inside, indica says 1938, doesn't mention
            anything about it being a reprint, but there's a Nestle Quik ad on
            the back cover? If so, it's an early-90's reprint that was given
            away with the "Reign of the Supermen" comics and it worth
            practically nothing, as there are maybe 10 gajillion of them out
            there. Hint: they probably didn't have the Quik Bunny back in 1938

            If the comic isn't as I described above, it's more likely that it's a
            70's reprint of Action #1... This comic is a different size than the
            original and is also very common, as it had two covers- the
            innermost exactly like the original #1 - and lots of people just
            ripped off the outside cover and tried to pass it off as an original
            copy. In that case, the comic is worth nothing whatsoever- its
            cover has been ripped off...

            The odds of someone "happening upon" an Action Comics #1
            are about ten billion to one- that is, about the same as being hit
            by a chunk of falling airplane or winning the lottery.

            -Wil M.

            --- In comic_books@y..., "spiritmountain1600"