TRDL's Third Rail Thrills No. 60 – Star S apphire [Green lantern]

  • TRDL - Thom
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2011

      Third Rail Thrills No. 60 – Star Sapphire [Green lantern]
      TRDL 2011 Series, No. 36

      This was done for the TRDL R3 Jam on the R3 Forum and DeviantArt Group, the subject being: Star Sapphire, from the Green Lantern books.

      As much as I don’t at all mind the concept of drawing Blake Lively and her 33 foot long legs in a Star Sapphire kit, I went old school. Here’s an early vintage, having bested original Terran Lantern Alan Scott. I had to do quite a bit of research on this one, from trying to glean how this particular Star Sapphire looked (and I made a few mods) to what Scott’s ring looked like, with it’s little lantern motif. Good stuff! I have to say though, I was thrown when I was doing some color checks on Scott’s outlandish threads, which I obviously toned down from the four-color days, and stumbled upon a commission sketch from Kevin Nowlan that pretty much was the same idea. Anyway, I didn’t see it at the time I drew it, so.

      http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/blog/2011/04/30/third-rail-thrills-no-60-star-sapphire/
      Click through to read more about it and see process pics and the like, if you enjoy such behind-the-scenes business.

      Artists, come join us on R3 and submit to the jams!

      Third Rail Thrills is a series of pin-ups inspired by classic cheesecake art. Some of these pieces may also occur in my other series' such as the Propaganda Art or Bomber Girls, but the Thrills series puts them against the showcase background and they are part of a growing collection on the main site.

      :::

      Options!

      You can see this illustration here on the R3 Forum:
      http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20774
      Or here, as above, on the TRDL blog: http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/blog/2011/04/30/third-rail-thrills-no-60-star-sapphire/
      And you can see a larger view right off my TRDL Illustration Site, here: http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/images3/trdli1136_starsapphire60z.jpg
      A choice for everyone!