TRDL's Third Rail Thrills No. 52: Xena Pin-Up

  • Thom Chiaramonte
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 10:42 AM

      TRDL 2011 Series, No. 17: Xena - Warrior Princess

      This was a finished-up render for a sketch done for the #DailySketchChallenge on DA, the subject being: Xena, Warrior Princess.

      I don't think I've ever drawn Xena before, at least that I remember. She's in the commission queue for later this year as well, so this was a goof first take on how I'd approach the character. It's kind of tough when you draw a stylized live-action figure, at least for me, because I didn't want to try and do a straight-up likeness of the actress, but I wanted to capture her presence, the athleticism, and all that cool detail in her armor... but at the same time, i wanted to play with the details my own way, so i did. Hence the Lovecraftian imagery in the armor. Anyway, swords and sandals quota met for February...

      http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/blog/2011/03/01/trdl-2011-series-no-17-xena/
      Click through to read more about it and see process pics and the like, if you enjoy such behind-the-scenes business.
      Artists, come join us on R3 and submit to the jams!

      Third Rail Thrills is a series of pin-ups inspired by classic cheesecake art. Some of these pieces may also occur in my other series' such as the Propaganda Art or Bomber Girls, but the Thrills series puts them against the showcase background and they are part of a growing collection on the main site.

      :::

      Options!

      You can see this illustration here on the R3 Forum: http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20224
      Or here, as above, on the TRDL blog: http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/blog/2011/03/01/trdl-2011-series-no-17-xena/