TRDL 2011 Series, No. 7 - Catwoman [Clean Slate Redesign]

  • TRDL - Thom
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2011
      trdli1107 catwomana TRDL 2011 No. 7 Catwoman [TRDL Blank
Slate Redesign]

      TRDL 2011 Series, No. 7: Catwoman [TRDL Redesign]

      This is a TRDL Redesign project. The subject: Catwoman.
      Please enjoy.

      This week I chose to do another Blank Slate redesign. Again, these aren't facelifts to recognizable properties intended to be consistent with the brand, but a reimagining based on the description of the character.

      The description was boiled down to this:

      Extremely gymnastic female burglar, inspired by cat imagery, who enjoys challenging scores as much for the thrill as the gain.

      So here's how I approached it:

      When I think of cats, and I suppose catlike women, I think of lanky, svelte, sexually confident characteristics, very physically comfortable. When I think of a thrill-seeking stung burglar, I think of wall climbers and escapists. So I imagined this character as a woman trained in the circus as a trapeze artist, now taking on scores for the rush. Unlike the familiar catsuit approach, she wears athletic top and briefs, with an absolute minimum of encumbrance on her body to get in the way of her scaling and leaping and clinging and whatever. I put her break-in gear, as well as her stash satchels, in shoulder harnesses so that the weight is behind her shoulder blades and out of the way. Tabi shoes, padded knee and elbow pads that are resilient but offer some protection from scrapes and gouges as she's working on a building. Short latex gloves for the invasion work. For the cat imagery, I pulled from two sources. For one, I think it makes a lot of sense for people to be either inspired by their tattoos or get prominent pieces based on their inspirational creature or imagery, and then it's easy enough to associate them with that piece. So I have a long black cat snaking around her torso, clutching chinese lanterns. The other detail is a thick rubbery cowl and shoulder shawl, which I imagine as being some sort of scuba underlayment repurposed. I gave it slight cat ear upturns in the back, which I could imagine her doing, and that's about it.

      Click through to read more about it and see process pics and the like, if you enjoy such behind-the-scenes business.

      Artists, come join us on R3 and submit to the jams! The R3 Illustration Jam offers new characters weekly, but all jams remain open so you can contribute to any that you like, here:

      Other viewing options:

      You can see this illustration here on the R3 Forum: http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=19831
      Or here, as above, on the TRDL blog: http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/blog/2011/01/28/trdl-2011-no-7-catwoman-trdl-blank-slate-redesign/
      And you can see a larger view right off my TRDL Illustration Site, here: http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/images3/trdli1107_catwomanz.jpg