TRDL Commission Art - USS Hamilton

  • TRDL - Thom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2011

      I recommend viewing the high rez version on this one:
      http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/images2/trdli1073_usshamiltonz.jpg

      This illustration was done for one of my long-time clients, for whom I’ve done several character designs in this universe of his creation. This time, I tackled a vehicle.

      To be fair, this ‘vehicle’ of sorts is a massive battleship/ command center/ asteroid. Quite a challenge! I chose to play up some of the imagery of flying earthen citadels from fantasy illustration from my youth, allowing for a substantial amount of rocky mass in the ship. The man-made structure is buried into the top of the rock, and works it’s way down into the core, where the reactor is. I have a huge intake in the front, not really for absorbing atmosphere, obviously, but for capturing light. I rationalized this as a new approach to designing a faster-than-light engine… it has to suck in light as it reached lightspeed, in order to pass it. Anyway, big atmospheric dome on top, lots of sensors, and several control vanes. I peppered it with other smaller craft to give it that sense of massive scale. This ship is named after Captain John Hamilton, who I designed for this client some time ago…

      Please enjoy.

      Click through to read more about it and see process pics and the like, if you enjoy such behind-the-scenes business. http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/blog/2010/11/03/trdl-commission-the-uss-hamilton/
      Artists, come join us on R3 and submit to the jams!

      :::

      Options!

      You can see this illustration here on the R3 Forum: http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18678&p=152268
      Or here, as above, on the TRDL blog: http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/blog/2010/11/03/trdl-commission-the-uss-hamilton/