Slightly OT, any Copyright experts on the list? Oh, and $5.00 OA!!!

  • Kevin Warzecha
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009

      Gentlemen,

      If you would allow me please - I was bitten by the collecting bug at the unfortunate age of seven and have been suffering from its most ill accumulative effects for the last 30 years in all areas of collecting, but most especially primitive art and sculpture, comics, illustration art, pottery, obscure coinage and landscape art, as well as lovely timeless nudes. I am a writer, teacher, and artist living in the Poconos and working in NYC, and my wife is a teacher, potter and photographer. I've been a wild bibliophile for many, many years, and recently began uncorking some boxes that have books going back 50, 100, 150 years. Many of these involve old comic strips, children’s books, photographs, lyrics, paintings, etc. Can anyone on the list definitively direct me to a site that would let me know how to search for whether or not these copyrights have expired, or if the original creators have renewed them? Is there a cut-off date for when work is open for public use? 50 years, 100 years? We have a large body of work we would like to reprint, experiment with, showcase, etc, and don’t want to step on toes. For example - a large collection of 19th Century children’s books by long defunct publishers, and photographic archives reaching back almost to the creation of the medium, neither of which seem ever to have been reprinted. I often encounter books that I can’t find any record of online and wonder if they have perhaps fallen off the map and are up for grabs for reprints. or free usage. Does Dover have a list? As well, are there any Intellectual Property Rights Lawyers onboard, especially NYC based, if I have the next big idea?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      As well, I am converting my CAF into EASY access, pay as you go options; I combine shipping, 90 day windows to accumulate piles, etc, etc. Easy layaway plans. 600 + pieces, being sorted into $5.00., $10.00., topical favorites, you name it. Oh, and zombies, so many zombies…..

      http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=10527

      Thanks much,

      Kevin.

    • Saty Q
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2009
        Totally off topic from your off topic :D, but I saw that you're a George Pratt fan - while our styles are completely different, he was a massive influence over me pursuing art.  I was maybe 12 or 13 and he was the GoH at a local (and I mean local!) con back in '89 or so.  Not only did he look at my art portfolio and offer some very helpful advice, he also sketched out a study (later I realized it was based off a piece that DC had published as a Detective Comics cover) on my folder as he talked about what he was doing.  Still have it.  Really great guy, and I was happy to hear that he had started teaching- he sure helped me out!

        Jerry S. Loomis

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
          Jerry,

          Thanks for the response. I've been corresponding with George Pratt & Scott Hampton for the last 10 years - they were at one time about 10 minutes apart in Chapel Hill, and my wife and I spent a week with George, his wife, and little George in 2003., to visit and discuss art. He has always been a great art/societal influence on me, and one of the finest artist's of his generation.

          Thanks for for the email again,
          Kevin.

          To: comic_books@yahoogroups.com
          From: artbysatyq@...
          Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 06:17:24 -0700

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
            my brother is a patent and copyright attorney, I'll check into it next time I talk to him

            To: comic_books@ yahoogroups. com
            From: artbysatyq@yahoo. com
            Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 06:17:24 -0700