Re: 73P Still Evolving?

  • Mike Holloway
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 3:48 AM
      Thanks Maik. This is interesting and something I had not seen. I
      try to make sure when imaging that some short exposures are taken
      which might help detect any new fragments of any comet being imaged.
      It is a bit surprising to me how often these come apart such as
      C/2005 K2 not that long ago.
      http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/article_1531_1.asp
      Thanks, Mike H.

      --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Maik Meyer" <maik@...> wrote:

      > Mike,
      >
      > > After recovery of the 13? fragments known, have there been any
      known
      > > occurences of any of these fragments breakinging up? Could
      these
      > > fragments have been lost in the original break and now with time
      and
      > > space between recovered? The advances in ccd and scope quality
      are
      > > more to credit than further breakup or am I missing something?
      >
      > from CBET 453:
      >
      > "Z. Sekanina, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, reports that
      > fragmentation of this comet is apparently continuing. His modeling
      > of the motions of nuclei 'K' and 'S' based on their astrometry from
      > Mar. 24-25 (MPEC 2006-F33) suggests that they separated from their
      > common parent fragment only about a month earlier and that both
      > (but especially 'K') must be very small, boulder-sized objects with
      > irregular and short-lived activity. ..."
      >
      > The question is, how short-lived the activity will really be.
      >
      > Cheers, Maik
      > --
      > If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. * Juan Ramon
      Jimenez