outburts 2006 A1 ?

  • Jose Pablo
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi , J.Gifford report to list :

      This observation was made with the comet at 6 degrees altitude. No
      correction for extinction. Dark rural skies. Comparison stars similar
      altitudes to comet. No tail seen. Comet not visible naked eye.

      2006 A1 Pojmanski:
      2006 February 1.54 m1=6.5 Dia=4 DC=5 11x80 B

      Regards, Jim Gifford
      Bridgetown, Western Australia
      34S 116E

      My last 2 visuals observations , date 30-01-06 m1=7.5 , outburts of +1 magnitude visual ? confirm this observation ? .
      My last equation photometrical of comet C/2006 A1 POJMANSKI :

      m1 = + 8.6 + 5 * log (delta)+ 19.97 * log ( R ) , Residual data magnitude 19 , +/-0.30 , +0.00

      Regards... J. P.Navarro Pina

    • Terry Lovejoy
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Jose Pablo" <jpab@...> wrote:

        > Hi , J.Gifford report to list :

        > This observation was made with the comet at 6 degrees
        altitude. No
        > correction for extinction. Dark rural skies. Comparison stars
        similar
        > altitudes to comet. No tail seen. Comet not visible naked eye.
        >
        > 2006 A1 Pojmanski:
        > 2006 February 1.54 m1=6.5 Dia=4 DC=5 11x80 B
        >
        > Regards, Jim Gifford
        > Bridgetown, Western Australia
        > 34S 116E

        > My last 2 visuals observations , date 30-01-06 m1=7.5 , outburts
        of +1 magnitude visual ? confirm this observation ? .
        > My last equation photometrical of comet C/2006 A1 POJMANSKI :
        >
        > m1 = + 8.6 + 5 * log (delta)+ 19.97 * log ( R ) , Residual data
        magnitude 19 , +/-0.30 , +0.00

        > Regards... J. P.Navarro Pina

      • Terry Lovejoy
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
          It looked high 6's to me this morning - although quite low in the east.

          I was also able to photograph over 3 degrees of ion tail this morning,
          despite very low elevation. Here is the image:

          http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/image/55581337

          Here is the B+W contrast stretched version:

          http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/image/55603158

          Terry
        • Terry Lovejoy
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
            Jose,

            Regarding the possible outburst, I would say unlikely as there
            problably +/- 1 mag scatter in observations. Secondly, my own
            observations this morning are consistent with David Seargent's late
            January observations, given normal brightening.

            Terry
          • Dave Herald
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
              Nice photo.

              For info.:
              The 2nd brightest star in the image (1/3rd way down, near the middle) is HIP 100300, Mv= 6.3, Mp = 7.9
              The brighter of the two stars exactly half way between the comet and the brightest star (alpha Pavo) is HIP 100980, with Mv=7.88, Mp=8.99. the fainter of that pair is TYC 8794-1181-1 Mv 9.15, 10.62
              The star to the left of the comet, near the edge, is HIP 101201, Mv7.84, 9.27.

              As these figures show, the bright stars in the region are very red - and this is well illustrated in the photograph with the stars being generally quite red, and the comet green. [Note - in the absence of knowledge about the photometric response of the film in different wavelengths, it is not possible to deduce an accurate magnitude estimate from the photo.]

              It is well known in the field of visual variable star observing that there can be significant systematic differences when red stars are involved. This may be exacerbated when observing at low altitudes (6 deg altitudes for magnitude estimates...), where the redness of stars will be accentuated through atmospheric extinction.

              I would be interested to know whether anyone has done any investigations on the effect of low altitude on estimating cometary magnitudes - and also on the consequences of the comparison stars being distinctly red vs the solar spectrum of dusty comets.

              Personally, I would heed Terry's subsequent message, indicating he does not believe there is an outburst in progress. In my view, we are in a situation of low data density, with the data having significant intrinsic uncertainty.

              Dave Herald
              Canberra, Australia

              It looked high 6's to me this morning - although quite low in the east.

              I was also able to photograph over 3 degrees of ion tail this morning,
              despite very low elevation. Here is the image:

              http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/image/55581337

              Here is the B+W contrast stretched version:

              http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/image/55603158

              Terry

              NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should be indicated by:

              Comets Mailing List [date]
              http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/comets-ml

              Sony ccd Solar system Observation system

            • JS & EJ Gifford
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                Hi Dave, Jose and all,

                I've been following this comet most nights over the last couple of
                weeks, I was surprised to find it in binoculars on 17th Jan and have
                been surprised by its brightening since, which to my eye has been rapid
                but steady, not an outburst. That it is now visible in small binoculars
                is an indication of its magnitude regardless of the accuracy or spread
                of estimates. Unfortunately there are few visual obs to compare yet.

                The estimate of the 30th was made with a much larger aperture than mine,
                and gave a smaller diameter of coma which may explain some difference.
                From this location the comet's increase in brightness has not been
                matched by an increase in size and it is now becoming more of a bright
                condensed disk, stellar in small binoculars. Regarding red stars, I
                avoid comparison stars with high B-V, as taken from Guide 8.

                It is now moving out of my evening sky, but is around 12 degrees at dawn
                so I will keep looking. Just need someone to keep me company.

                Regards, Jim Gifford.
                Bridgetown, Western Australia.
                34S 116E

                It looked high 6's to me this morning - although quite low in the
                east.

                I was also able to photograph over 3 degrees of ion tail this morning,

                despite very low elevation. Here is the image:

                http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/image/55581337

                Here is the B+W contrast stretched version:

                http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/image/55603158

                Terry

                NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List
                should be indicated by:

                Comets Mailing List [date]
                http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/comets-ml

                Sony ccd Solar system Observation system

                Service.

                NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should
                be indicated by:

                Comets Mailing List [date]
                http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/comets-ml
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • belatrix
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Hi Jim, as you may know that most of central and eastern parts of far
                  southern Australia have been suffering for weeks now, first with oven
                  like temps that fanned bushfires in two states that turned the sky
                  yellow with ash, now followed by the steady flow of the cloudy remnants
                  of a cyclone/monsoonal trough feeding down from NT :-( must be a few
                  more southerners champing at the bit for a morning session like myself!
                  Have enjoyed and followed your reports with great interest - Thanks,
                  and please keep up the great work your doing :-)
                  Regards
                  Kearn
                  On 03/02/2006, at 12:25 AM, JS & EJ Gifford wrote:

                  > Hi Dave, Jose and all,
                  >
                  > I've been following this comet most nights over the last couple of
                  > weeks, I was surprised to find it in binoculars on 17th Jan and have
                  > been surprised by its brightening since, which to my eye has been rapid
                  > but steady, not an outburst. That it is now visible in small binoculars
                  > is an indication of its magnitude regardless of the accuracy or spread
                  > of estimates. Unfortunately there are few visual obs to compare yet.
                  >
                  > The estimate of the 30th was made with a much larger aperture than
                  > mine,
                  > and gave a smaller diameter of coma which may explain some difference.
                  > From this location the comet's increase in brightness has not been
                  > matched by an increase in size and it is now becoming more of a bright
                  > condensed disk, stellar in small binoculars. Regarding red stars, I
                  > avoid comparison stars with high B-V, as taken from Guide 8.
                  >
                  > It is now moving out of my evening sky, but is around 12 degrees at
                  > dawn
                  > so I will keep looking. Just need someone to keep me company.
                  >
                  > Regards, Jim Gifford.
                  > Bridgetown, Western Australia.
                  > 34S 116E
                • Jose Pablo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Hi Jim , Dave and all ,

                    My last analysis of light curve visual of comet 2006 A1 , indicate one
                    increase of magnitude visual , this is my magnitudes visuals :

                    6.7 , 6.5 , 7.5 , 7.5 , 7.2 , 7.3 , 7.7 , 7.9 , 8.2 , etc...( total : 20 )

                    Date 30-01-06 m1=7.5 , Date 01-02-06 m1=6.5 and 6.7 .

                    Regards ... Jose Pablo Navarro Pina

                    > I've been following this comet most nights over the last couple of
                    > weeks, I was surprised to find it in binoculars on 17th Jan and have
                    > been surprised by its brightening since, which to my eye has been rapid
                    > but steady, not an outburst. That it is now visible in small binoculars
                    > is an indication of its magnitude regardless of the accuracy or spread
                    > of estimates. Unfortunately there are few visual obs to compare yet.
                    >
                    > The estimate of the 30th was made with a much larger aperture than mine,
                    > and gave a smaller diameter of coma which may explain some difference.
                    > From this location the comet's increase in brightness has not been
                    > matched by an increase in size and it is now becoming more of a bright
                    > condensed disk, stellar in small binoculars. Regarding red stars, I
                    > avoid comparison stars with high B-V, as taken from Guide 8.
                    >
                    > It is now moving out of my evening sky, but is around 12 degrees at dawn
                    > so I will keep looking. Just need someone to keep me company.
                    >
                    > Regards, Jim Gifford.
                    > Bridgetown, Western Australia.
                    > 34S 116E

                  • Terry Lovejoy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 3, 2006
                      David,

                      The particular lens I used tends to show a small yellow/red halo around
                      stars on the lower left portion of the field of view at the point of
                      best focus. I think there is a small alignment problem with the lens
                      that causes this. As a result all except the brightest stars appear
                      redder than they should (in addition to the reddening caused by
                      extinction).

                      Terry
                    • JS & EJ Gifford
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Hi Kearn,
                        We have been on the opposite end of the airflow to you, having
                        a cool summer with cloud and even rain. Unfortunately the humidity is
                        causing cloud and fog to suck in from the south at night and disperse
                        when the Sun rises, so I'm getting a run of clear evenings and cloudy
                        mornings. The Moon will cut in in a week, after that there is a small
                        window around perihelion at low altitude before it is gone too far North
                        for us. With luck there will be a clear morning soon.

                        Regards, Jim.