Re: [comets-ml] C/2004 B1, not yet visually?

  • David Seargent
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      From: "Seiichi Yoshida" <comet@...>
      To: <comets-ml@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 2:12 PM
      Subject: [comets-ml] C/2004 B1, not yet visually?

      > Dear colleagues,
      >
      > I long for the visual observations of C/2004 B1 in the Southern
      > Hemisphere.
      >
      > http://www.aerith.net/comet/weekly/current.html
      >
      > It brightened up to 13.9 mag on Aug. 1 (Michael Mattiazzo). Now it
      > must be bright as 11 mag already, and it locates high in the
      > Southern Hemisphere, however, no observations were reported
      > recently. So it may be fainter than expected.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > --
      > Seiichi Yoshida

      I tried for it on Sept 29 with a 25.4 cm reflector at 71x and 114x, but
      could not find anything at the predicted position. I think that anything of
      13 or brighter (assuming relatively small and condensed) would have been
      visible.

      Best regards,
      David Seargent
    • Seiichi Yoshida
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
        Dear David Seargent,

        > I tried for it on Sept 29 with a 25.4 cm reflector at 71x and 114x, but
        > could not find anything at the predicted position. I think that anything of
        > 13 or brighter (assuming relatively small and condensed) would have been
        > visible.

        Thank you very much for your informative observation!

        I updated my light curve:

        http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/2004B1/2004B1.html

        Now it is clear that Comet C/2004 B1 stopped brightening after
        March. In the recent light curve, the coefficient of log r becomes
        around 0!

        Maybe something unusual is happening on this comet.

        Seiichi Yoshida
        comet@...
        http://www.aerith.net/
      • Michael Mattiazzo
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
          Hello all,

          I have observed this comet over the weekend from a dark site.

          C/2004 B1 LINEAR
          2005 Sep 30.72 UT: m1=12.2, Dia.=1.5', DC=3...28cm L 133x...Michael
          Mattiazzo (Wallaroo, South Australia)
          2005 Oct 02.59 UT: m1=12.4, Dia.=1.5', DC=2...28cm L 133x...Michael
          Mattiazzo (Wallaroo, South Australia)
          It appears quite diffuse and requires good transparency to see it.
          I've uploaded an image of it on my website:

          http://www.yp-connect.net/~mmatti/

          Cheers,
          Michael

          > I long for the visual observations of C/2004 B1 in the Southern
          > Hemisphere.
          >
          > http://www.aerith.net/comet/weekly/current.html
          >
          > It brightened up to 13.9 mag on Aug. 1 (Michael Mattiazzo). Now it
          > must be bright as 11 mag already, and it locates high in the
          > Southern Hemisphere, however, no observations were reported
          > recently. So it may be fainter than expected.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > --
          > Seiichi Yoshida
          > comet@...
          > http://www.aerith.net/
        • Seiichi Yoshida
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
            Dear Michael Mattiazzo,

            > I have observed this comet over the weekend from a dark site.

            Thank you for your observations and image!

            I updated the light curve again:

            http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/2004B1/2004B1.html

            The total light curve is along the formula of:

            m1 = 8.0 + 5 log delta + 7.0 log r

            It seems to be a comet with very slow brightness evolution, similar to
            C/2003 T4.

            Comet C/2003 T4 was unusual.

            Unusual Comet C/2003 T4 ( LINEAR )
            http://www.aerith.net/astro/2003T4.html

            Comet C/2004 B1 is unusual, too?

            Best regards,

            P.S.
            I put your excellent image of C/2004 B1 in my web pages. Thank you.

            --
            Seiichi Yoshida
            comet@...