Eclipse comet of 1963

  • David Seargent
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2005
      Dear all,

      Does anybody know the co-ordinates of the probable comet photographed during the total solar eclipse of June 20, 1963?
      It was apparently small, diffuse and about third magnitude. There was no obvious tail.
      It would be interesting to compare its position with the tracks of the Marsden, Kracht and Meyer comets.
      Regards,

      David

    • Hirohisa Sato
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2005
        Dear David,

        > Does anybody know the co-ordinates of the probable comet photographed during the total solar eclipse of June 20, 1963?

        The total solar eclipse in 1963 is July 20.

        Best Regards,
        --
        Hirohisa Sato
        Sukagawa, Fukushima, Japan
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2005
          Here is my current write-up for the currently unpublished volume 4 of
          Cometography:

          During the total eclipse of 1963 July 20, a search for intrinsically
          faint comets near the sun was conducted. The plates were examined by
          F. V. Dossin during September and "on all seven plates exposed using
          Super XX film and a Wratten 45 (C2) filter, a diffuse object was
          found," with a coma diameter of 3 minutes, but no definite central
          condensation. The object was situated 5 degrees 21 minutes from the
          sun toward PA 232d 35m, which indicated a position of a=7h 45m
          20s±10s, d=+25d 20'±03'. No trace of the comet was found on
          unfiltered plates or on plates exposed with a Wratten (Na) filter. As
          the discovery camera was considered the most likely camera to detect
          comets, it was suggested "that the object was a comet with an
          emission spectrum."

          The source is Harvard Announcement Card, No. 1613 (1963 Sep. 13).

          I have not pursued any additional information, as I am wrapping up
          volume 3 and have not worked on volume 4 for about five years.

          Sincerely,
          Gary

          >Dear all,
          >
          >Does anybody know the co-ordinates of the probable comet
          >photographed during the total solar eclipse of June 20, 1963?
          >It was apparently small, diffuse and about third magnitude. There
          >was no obvious tail.
          >It would be interesting to compare its position with the tracks of
          >the Marsden, Kracht and Meyer comets.
          >Regards,
          >
          >David

          >NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List
          >should be indicated by:
          >
          >Comets Mailing List [date]
          >http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/comets-ml
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Seargent
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2005
[...]

            Thanks Gary,
            As far as I can tell, the comet does not seem to have been associated with
            any of the major groups. Must have been yet another non-group sun-skirter!
            Regards,
            David