Re: Ikeya-Seki info

  • Tony Hoffman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      Of the three questions below, it's really the approximate current
      distance from the Sun that I'm most interested in. When I tried to
      create a diagram in a planetarium program (Voyager III) showing the
      comet's current position, it placed the comet about 4/5 of the way to
      aphelion which, considering that timewise the comet is less than 1/10
      of the way there, seemed a bit extreme--even considering that the
      comet spends most of its time out near the aphelion point, at which
      it's moving slowly enough that you could probably outrun it, and as a
      sungrazer there's an unusual extreme between aphelion and perihelion
      distance. So although a little voice is running through my head,
      crying "...the radius vector sweeps out equal areas in equal time..",
      it's entirely another matter to translate that into a distance, or
      the percentage of the way to aphelion. :-)

      --Tony

      --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Hoffman" <tonyhoffman@e...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, all--
      > I'm trying to find some information on Comet Ikeya-Seki (C/1965 S1)-
      -
      > rather, the main component of the two that were left after the
      > comet's fragmentation soon after perihelion, the one with a period
      of
      > ~880 years and an aphelion of 183 AU -- for a project I'm working
      on.
      > In particular, I'm looking for its velocity at perihelion, velocity
      > at aphelion, and approximate current distance from the Sun. I'd
      > appreciate any help in this.
      > Thanks,
      > Tony
    • Don Pearce
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
        Tony,
        My data says that Ikeya-Seki reaches aphelion in 2404 at a r distance
        of 183 AU.
        It is currently at about 60 AU out. Its orbital speed at a perihelion
        distance of .008 should have been 462 kps. I show its orbital speed at
        aphelion as .02 kps......Don Pearce

        Tony Hoffman wrote:

        >Hi, all--
        >I'm trying to find some information on Comet Ikeya-Seki (C/1965 S1)--
        >rather, the main component of the two that were left after the
        >comet's fragmentation soon after perihelion, the one with a period of
        >~880 years and an aphelion of 183 AU -- for a project I'm working on.
        >In particular, I'm looking for its velocity at perihelion, velocity
        >at aphelion, and approximate current distance from the Sun. I'd
        >appreciate any help in this.
        >Thanks,
        >Tony
        >

        >NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should be indicated by:
        >
        >Comets Mailing List [date]
        >http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/comets-ml
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tony Hoffman