C/2004 V13 (SWAN)

  • David Seargent
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2005
      Dear all,

      In very clear skies at Cowra in rural New South Wales, I managed to see V13 with a 25.4 cm reflector on Jan 5, 6 and 7. It was very difficult and estimated at 11.7, 11.6 and 11.9 respectively. What I found interesting was the comet's greater visibility through a Swan Band filter, especially on Jan. 5 (in fact, I found it initially by using the filter). It did not seem quite as enhanced on the 6th, - in fact, I formed the impression that it was less enhanced through the filter on each successive night, although with something so near the limit of visibility, it is not easy to be sure. But for there to have been any enhancement at all, the comet must have still been producing gas, so that what was seen was an active comet and not just a debris cloud. Despite the extreme intrinsic faintness and small q of this comet, something must have survived intact and active (at least until January 7!).

      Clear skies,
      David

    • Michael Mattiazzo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2005
        Hi all,

        I too observed this comet visually on Jan 6th.
        It appeared magnitude 12 and very diffuse (DC=1)
        I have an image and animation of this comet on my website at:

        http://www.yp-connect.net/~mmatti/

        The comet displays no central condensation and is thus difficult to do
        astrometry.
        The nuclear magnitude is fainter than mag 17.
        Perhaps there is nothing remaining of the nucleus. Any further observations?

        Kind regards,
        Michael Mattiazzo