Re: Probably dust trail detection of C/2003 T4 (LINEAR)

  • Seiichi Yoshida
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
      Dear Giovanni,

      > preceding part of the dust trail component. Or do we have the
      > conditions for any kind of anti-tail (other than the preceding part
      > of the dust trail) at the end of next December? If not, any trace of
      > an anti-tail for the end of december could be a hint for your "dust-
      > trail" hypothesis. What do you think?

      I have simulated using a planetarium software, which does not show any
      tails towards the sun. So I think there is no possibility to see the
      anti tail now and in December.

      But the software is not a professional software to simulate the
      comtary tails. Akimasa Nakamura commented me that simulation using a
      professional software, for example synchron analysis, is required.

      Seiichi Yoshida
      comet@...
      http://www.aerith.net/
    • gvnn64
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
        Dears all,
        Mike Halloway has just posted in the mailing-list [Comet-images] a
        shot of C/2003 T4 (LINEAR). Once correctly oriented, a well defined
        structure (tail, trail, or whatever) extending almost 3' toward N-NW
        is visible. No details are given for the instrumentation and the time
        of the exposure, however the Guide 8 software I'm using suggests a UT
        close to 00h 30m on December 2, 2004. It's interesting to notice some
        kind of assimetry in the shape of this feature: the W side terminates
        much sharply than the E side. The original image is available at:
        http://www.fototime.com/72A03820EEF2A47/orig.jpg
        Cheers,
        Giovanni Sostero (Remanzacco Observatory, Italy)