Re: C/2004 H6

  • gvnn64
    Message 1 of 56 , Sep 1, 2004
      > I am not aware of any CCD photometry (not astrometric photometry)
      of C/2004 H6 in August

      Hello,
      at the time of the Visnjan School of Astronomy, thanks to Reiner, I
      made some photometry on C/2004 H6 (SWAN) out of the images that he
      has posted yesterday. These are the main facts:

      August 8.92, 2004
      Aperture: 50,000 Km (~1.6'), unfiltered magnitude 12.5, Afrho: 87cm
      Aperture: 25,000 Km (~0.8'), unfiltered magnitude 13.5, Afrho: 68cm
      Aperture: 12,500 Km (~0.4'), unfiltered magnitude 14.3, Afrho: 65cm

      The Aperture is intended at the comet distance, while the magnitudes
      are unfiltered (Cousins R was used as source for the reference stars).
      The equivalent dust column as deduced fron the Afrho is pretty small.
      Accuracy is almost +/- 0.2 magnitudes for the brightness, and +/- 20
      cm for the Afrho. These data seems to confirm a modest activity of
      the comet.
      Cheers,
      Giovanni
      Message 56 of 56 , Sep 3, 2004
        Hi Greg and list,

        > This is exactly why I became so frustrated that I finally said
        > something. The truth is that there is only one software product that
        > incorporates up to date magnitudes and coma diameters *without* the user
        > having to go and look for them themselves.

        thanks for clarifying this. I guess a lot of people will find this feature useful
        as well as your valuable input into this list. I think there's no need to defend
        yourself.

        Also I hope that this discussion can now put to a rest because of lot of this has
        already been discussed some time ago. As always in life - there is not only black
        and white, there is a spectrum of opinions and likings. Just like with comets.

        And about some questions and opions man will never agree. ;)

        Cheers, Maik