Did anyone observe C/2004 H6 recently?

  • Steed
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2004
      I tried to spot comet SWAN this morning, but failed. I did find the place where this comet supposed to be, and did spot a star of mag 9.86 in the same field with my Apogee 25X100 binoculars, but i still found no sign of comet SWAN. I notice there is no observation on this comet since June 21, when the lastest one was made by John Drummond in New Zealand. Did this comet just disappeared or fade too fast than expected?
    • Akimasa Nakamura
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2004
        Hi Steed (?),

        Y. Nagai observed C/2004 H6 (SWAN) on June 29.74UT with 20x100 binoculars.
        He states m1=8.3: and coma, dia. =4'. Also, as announced on MPEC 2004-N08,
        this comet was observed with CCD at three stations (including myself)
        during June 26-July 1 UT. So, this comet looks like to me to be healthy.

        I guess it was close to your limiting magnitude.

        Best regards,
        Akimasa Nakamura

        At 17:19 04/07/04, you wrote:
        >I tried to spot comet SWAN this morning, but failed. I did find the place
        >where this comet supposed to be, and did spot a star of mag 9.86 in the
        >same field with my Apogee 25X100 binoculars, but i still found no sign of
        >comet SWAN. I notice there is no observation on this comet since June 21,
        >when the lastest one was made by John Drummond in New Zealand. Did this
        >comet just disappeared or fade too fast than expected?
      • Seiichi Yoshida
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 15, 2004
          Dear Steed,

          Today I updated the light curve of C/2004 H6:

          http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/2004H6/2004H6.html

          As already pointed out by Maik Meyer, it suddenly became diffused and
          started fading rapidly in late June.

          The comet showed unusual extremely rapid brightening just before the
          perihelion passage. So it may become faint extremely soon after this.

          Seiichi Yoshida
          comet@...
          http://www.aerith.net/