Moderators note

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
      Dear list,

      from June 03 - 06, I will be attending the IWCA III in Paris, France.
      Most likely I will will have no possibility to check e-mail. Thus it
      will not possible to approve/disapprove messages of new members, which
      are set as moderated. Please be patient if your message does not appear,
      I will be back on Sunday and will then take care of them.

      Cheers, Maik
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
        Dear list,

        this will be my last message on this topic.

        Can you imagine how I hate to write such e-mails? I spent this day (and tomorrow,
        too) in a meeting of the German Standardisation Organisation experts where we are
        discussing future standards for roughness measurement issued by the International
        Standardisation Organisation (ISO). There are heated debates, and not a few, but it
        always stays on a reasonable level. The irony is that we are discussing standards
        which have to be followed (if no other rules are specified) by the world-wide
        industry. This is similar to what has been done by myself in a casual way, by Greg
        with his monthly posting of his policies.

        It was clear from the beginning that a clear cut between the observation list and
        the discussion list would not be possible except by setting it up as a rule like
        Greg then did. And because he is the founder of the list it was his right to do so.
        And it was by that achieved that discussion took place in comets-ml, just as it was
        intended. Not all who subscribe to comets-ml subscribe to CometsObs and would miss
        discussion in the latter group.

        Rob Overfield has put it nicely

        Comets-ml = discussion group
        CometsObs = observations
        CometImages = images links

        and let's even add Gregs group CometChasing as a more open or less technical group.

        What all these groups do not intend is personal attacking or unreasonable arguing.
        I sometimes wish that all would be able to let a topic rest and not to have the
        last word and sort these things out privately - especially after a plea of the
        moderator. When I can manage not to jump on every criticism that is not about
        comets but on the list management or my philosophy in moderating by being not
        always present - why can't you?

        So, and this is my last word on this, please

        1) obey the structure of the lists as best as you can

        2) direct discussions not related to cometary matters ('cometary matters' do not
        include opinions on the leadership of comets-ml and other lists) to the relevant
        moderators/owners but NOT into the list

        3) accept that the lists are somehow autocratic (more or less, depending on the
        moderators philosophy)

        4) NEVER EVER post personal attacks to others, be reasonable and polite, even in
        criticism (and yes, this is possible)

        !!! Please note that violations especially of points 2 and 4 will result in
        immediate moderating for a chosen time. !!!

        Remember Austin Powers... BEHAVE!

        I do hope that all others can now take their popcorn bags away and we will be on
        topic from now on. I really do.

        Thank you very much.

        Maik Meyer
        comets-ml