  • Clay Sherrod
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 3:39 AM
      A few comet postings for April 1 including the new C/2003 F1 are posted at:
      http://www.arksky.org/

      Clay
      Dr. P. Clay Sherrod
      drclay@...
      Arkansas Sky Observatory
      MPC/cbat Obs. H43 / Conway
      MPC/cbat Obs. H41 / Petit Jean Mountain
      www.arksky.org
    • David Higgins
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7 10:18 PM
        Can't believe I lost the files for 116P Wild. It had a lovely fat tail.
        Maybe it's still on the observatory computers HD. :-(

        Here are the others:

        c/2001 N2 LINEAR
        2003 Apr 07.49 UT: m1=, m2=16.9, Dia.= 14.5", DC = 3/9, ...0.25m
        SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 - Canberra
        Australia) [Faint and uniform diffuse object no central condensation]

        c/2002 O4 Hoenig
        2003 Apr 07.53 UT: m1=, m2=16.5, Dia.= 10", DC = 8/9, ...0.25m
        SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 - Canberra
        Australia) [Finally found it. Very stellar in appearance but still
        difficult to measure due to crowed field ]

        c/2002 U2 LINEAR
        2003 Apr 07.57 UT: m1=, m2=17.7, Dia.= 13.5", DC = 2/9, ...0.25m
        SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 - Canberra
        Australia) [Very faint and uniformly diffuse object]

        30P Reinmuth 1
        2003 Apr 07.48 UT: m1=14.7, m2=16.4, Dia.= 38.7", DC = 4/9, ...0.25m
        SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 - Canberra
        Australia) [Small dense central condensation surrounded by diffuse cloud
        slightly elongated with Tail evident 32" PA 141]

        46P Wirtanen
        2003 Apr 07.54 UT: m1=, m2=18.9, Dia.= 8.8", DC = 3/9, ...0.25m
        SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 - Canberra
        Australia) [Very faint and difficult subject quite stellar. This is a
        probable detection based on calculated position]

        53P Van Biesbroeck
        2003 Apr 07.59 UT: m1=, m2=14.7, Dia.= 11.6", DC = 8/9, ...0.25m
        SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 - Canberra
        Australia) [Bright, very stellar in appearance but difficult to measure
        due to proximity to group of stars]

        65P Gunn
        2003 Apr 07.62 UT: m1=, m2=16.6, Dia.= 20.0", DC = 3/9, ...0.25m
        SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 - Canberra
        Australia) [Small weak condensation in an otherwise quite diffuse
        object. Slightly Elongated hinting at a tail 19" PA 040]

        66P du Toit
        2003 Apr 07.48 UT: m1=, m2=18.2, Dia.= 11", DC = 5/9, ...0.25m
        SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 - Canberra
        Australia) [Very faint, stellar in nature]

        Cheers

        David Higgins
        Hunters Hill Observatory
        MPC CBAT Obs. E14
        Ngunnawal
        Canberra, Australia
        http://users.bigpond.com/higginsdj
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7 10:30 PM
          Hi David,

          > c/2002 O4 Hoenig
          > 2003 Apr 07.53 UT: m1=, m2=16.5, Dia.= 10", DC = 8/9, ...0.25m
          > SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 - Canberra
          > Australia) [Finally found it. Very stellar in appearance but still
          > difficult to measure due to crowed field ]

          this would quite be a surprise, since it was assumed that the comet disintegrated
          last autumn...

          As far as I know there have been no detections since then.

          Maik
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7 10:33 PM
            Maik Meyer wrote:

            > > c/2002 O4 Hoenig
            > > 2003 Apr 07.53 UT: m1=, m2=16.5, Dia.= 10", DC = 8/9, ...0.25m
            > > SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 - Canberra
            > > Australia) [Finally found it. Very stellar in appearance but still
            > > difficult to measure due to crowed field ]
            >
            > this would quite be a surprise, since it was assumed that the comet disintegrated
            > last autumn...
            >
            > As far as I know there have been no detections since then.

            as an addition the last MPC observation of this comet

            C/2002 O4 (Hoenig) 2002 10 01.75 15.7 N 235

            Maybe you can get a confirming second or third night and maybe obtain astrometry
            where the residuals can be checked since this identification would be very
            interesting.

            Kind regards, Maik
          • David Higgins
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7 10:52 PM
              Damn - No wonder it has been hard to find.

              I'll check my images again. It may be just a star in the same
              location as the comet was predicted to be and the 'occillation' of
              the blink that gave it movement. No second or third night likely at
              the moment - we have heavy cloud and forcast showers :-(

              Cheers

              David

              --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, Maik Meyer <maik@c...> wrote:
              > Maik Meyer wrote:
              >
              > > > c/2002 O4 Hoenig
              > > > 2003 Apr 07.53 UT: m1=, m2=16.5, Dia.= 10", DC = 8/9, ...0.25m
              > > > SCT/CCD......David Higgins, Hunters hill Observatory E14 -
              Canberra
              > > > Australia) [Finally found it. Very stellar in appearance but
              still
              > > > difficult to measure due to crowed field ]
              > >
              > > this would quite be a surprise, since it was assumed that the
              comet disintegrated
              > > last autumn...
              > >
              > > As far as I know there have been no detections since then.
              >
              > as an addition the last MPC observation of this comet
              >
              > C/2002 O4 (Hoenig) 2002 10 01.75 15.7 N 235
              >
              > Maybe you can get a confirming second or third night and maybe
              obtain astrometry
              > where the residuals can be checked since this identification would
              be very
              > interesting.
              >
              > Kind regards, Maik
              > --
              > If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. * Juan Ramon
              Jimenez

            • David Higgins
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7 11:16 PM
                Just re-checked the images. Can't say for sure but I probably
                misidentified a star. My method is to take 8 120 second
                integrations over a period of 20-30 minutes. I then blink these
                images and do a track and stack using Astrometrica. According to
                both track and stacked image reduction and individual frame
                reduction the object is within 0" DEC and 6" RA of Hoenigs predicted
                position.

                However my 2"/px resolution can't detect sufficient movement or
                trailing to be sure one way or the other. (My MPC residuals average
                less than 1" RA and Dec by the way.)

                Next clear night I will run a series of 120 second integrations for
                an hour and see what I can find. It will be a nice break from
                Asteroid Lightcurves.

                Cheers

                David

                --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins" <higginsdj@b...>