Re: [comets-ml] C/2001 A2 Linear: some interesting in the inner coma

  • Giovanni Sostero
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2001
      On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:04:12 -0000
      gianmasi@... wrote:
      > feature, maybe connected with what Giovanni reported here
      > earlier
      > (and I would like to hear his comment about his final
      > analysis, announced yesterday): a sort of double jet
      > bifurcation?), clearly emerging from the nucleus.

      Hi Gianluca and all,
      you can dawnload the picture we made last week-end from
      Visnjan Obs. at: http://www.astro.hr/comets/lin2207.jpg
      The "bifurcated" tail structure I noticed at that time on
      the "raw" images, was actually what it seems a bi-component
      tail: one narrow and straight ione tail and a second
      component more broad and diffuse, superimposed on the
      previous one. Is the latter a possible dust tail component,
      as suggested recently by M. Mattiazzo? Don't know yet. But
      on the same night my friends at the
      Remanzacco Observatory imaged this comet with V (Johnson)
      and R, I (Cousin) filters. Looking at those filtered frames,
      I hope that it would be possible to discriminate among the
      two different dust/gas components, in any. Let me reduce
      also those images.

      Kind regards,
      Giovanni
    • gianmasi@fr.flashnet.it
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2001
        Hi Giovanni,
        thank you for your detailed description. And yes, it will be
        interesting to hear your comments about the filtered images.

        Clear skies,
        Gianluca

        --- In comets-ml@y..., "Giovanni Sostero" <Giovanni.Sostero@e...>