C/2001 A2 latest outburst

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2001
      Hi,

      I was just wondering if the latest outburst of comet C/2001 A2 (LINEAR) was a real
      event or just the effect of weather (the moon just went out of sight the first time
      for Central Europe) and/or internet (bias by published observation). Maybe it is even
      a mix of all three effects.

      I believe there was an outburst (but with a quite small amplitude, maybe about 1 mag)
      but we may never find out since the published observations right now tend to split
      into two groups - no outburst and outburst.

      Unfortunately bias is a thing we will never eliminate and such bright and big comets
      are hard to estimate. Unfortunately we can also not just go out and observe without
      prior selected comparison stars since there is the danger of picking up variables or
      red stars which are not suitable.

      What do you think?

      Regards

      Maik
      --

      Wenn man Dir liniertes Papier gibt, schreibe quer ueber die Zeilen.
      Homepage der Fachgruppe Kometen: http://www.fg-kometen.de
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 18, 2001
        I believe the C/2001 A2 experienced an outburst sometime after July
        12.4, but agree with Maik that it was not a strong one. With large,
        diffuse comets I try to look at individual observers and the
        instruments used to observe. In tough situations I will also fall
        back to looking exclusively at experienced observers. An outburst of
        1 to 1.5 magnitude is not out of the question on this occasion. In
        addition, several observers reported a strong condensation appeared
        late on the 12th, which subsequently faded and became more diffuse
        during the next couple of days. I first saw the condensation with
        20x80 binoculars on the 13th and I have seen some CCD images which
        also display it. Outbursts are frequently accompanied by an increase
        in the DC and/or appearance of a star-like condensation.

        Gary W. Kronk

        http://cometography.com
        http://comets.amsmeteors.org
        --
        Gary W. Kronk

        http://cometography.com
        http://comets.amsmeteors.org
      • g_masi@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 18, 2001
          Dear Comet Lovers,
          to me the comet appeared definitely and clearly brighter early on July
          13, about 0.5, 0.6 magnitudes more than 24-hours earlier. Also, I
          think that was a correlation between that outbusrt and the development
          of the "T" structure I reported on july 13, which quite rapidly
          evolved in a bow-like structure.

          A detailed analysis of theimages I've been so lucky to grab are at

          http://www.eurolink.it/comets/c2001a2.html

          Regards,
          Gianluca

          --- In comets-ml@y..., Maik Meyer <maik@c...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I was just wondering if the latest outburst of comet C/2001 A2
          (LINEAR) was a real
          > event or just the effect of weather (the moon just went out of sight
          the first time
          > for Central Europe) and/or internet (bias by published observation).
          Maybe it is even
          > a mix of all three effects.
          >
          > I believe there was an outburst (but with a quite small amplitude,
          maybe about 1 mag)
          > but we may never find out since the published observations right now
          tend to split
          > into two groups - no outburst and outburst.
          >
          > Unfortunately bias is a thing we will never eliminate and such
          bright and big comets
          > are hard to estimate. Unfortunately we can also not just go out and
          observe without
          > prior selected comparison stars since there is the danger of picking
          up variables or
          > red stars which are not suitable.
          >
          > What do you think?
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Maik
          > --
          >
          > Wenn man Dir liniertes Papier gibt, schreibe quer ueber die Zeilen.
          > If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. * Juan Ramon
          Jimenez

          __