Re: Some questions

  • tonyjhoffman
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
      Hi, Kearn--
      There's a very similar depiction from Mayan cosmology and creation
      myth in which the canoe in which the Maize God is paddled to the
      place of creation is represented by a large swath of Milky Way from
      Cygnus (including the rift) to about Monoceros. Next time I'm in a
      reasonably dark sky--which happens all too rarely--I'll have to look
      for this canoe.
      --Tony

      --- In comets-ml@y..., "kearn_jones" <belatrix@o...> wrote:
      > Hi John
      > I know this is extremely off topic, but all this talk of the
      southern
      > winter milky way, has reminded me of my favourite analogy of the
      > milky ways appearance. It comes from a local (South Australian)
      > Aboriginal Dreamtime story, from the Ngarrindjeri people. They
      > say that it is a bark canoe that belonged a mythical man named
      > Ngurunderi who left it behind when he abandoned camp in
      > pursuit of his wives.
      > The dark matter lane through the center of the milky way being
      > the inside of the canoe ( we are looking from above the canoe )
      > and the bright matter the outside curving to points at each end. I
      > must admit every time i see the full winter milky way , since
      > reading that story years ago, i cant help but see and think about
      > the large bark canoe. :)
      > Kearn
      >
      > --- In comets-ml@y..., <john_drummond@x> wrote:
      > > Hi Mitch,
      > >
      > > I have a theory regarding "the land of the Long White Cloud";
      > after regularly seeing the milky way stretching across the sky
      > from rural settings in NZ I think that the "long white cloud" is
      > referring to the galactic plane of the above mentioned
      > galaxy(????!!!!!!) - the overhead winter Saggatarid/Scorpio region
      > is absolutely brillantly bright and complex.
      > >
      > > That's my (probably historically incorrect) thought for the day...
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > >
      > > John

    • kearn_jones
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 7, 2002
        --- In comets-ml@y..., "tonyjhoffman" <tonyhoffman@e...> wrote:
        > Hi, Kearn--
        > There's a very similar depiction from Mayan..
        --I'll have to look
        > for this canoe.
        > --Tony

        ....good luck with the canoe Tony , you will find it easy im sure.

        Kearn
      • kearn_jones
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 7, 2002
          --- In comets-ml@y..., <john_drummond@x> wrote:
          ,
          > An interesting story indeed! I guess that the stars visible in the
          canoe are bits of sand that fell off his feet??? I wonder what his
          wives were up to? I'm sorry for also being off topic also...

          ..on that i couldnt say ... i would only be embellishment if i did..
          Kearn ;)