Comet Ison seen Aug 7

  • Eddie
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2013
      I have a tweet here from Doug Snyder @arizona31n, Huachuca Astronomy Club, "Friends of The Milky Way" that he saw Comet Ison on Aug 7
      No further details.
    • Alan Hale
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2013
        Hello everyone,

        Amidst all the talk of Comet ISON, etc. . . .

        Most of you probably remember that I completed the "Countdown to 500 Comets"
        program a year and a half ago, and that I've indicated there would be some
        kind of follow-on program. Some of you may also know that I've been dealing
        with some non-astronomically related issues for about the past year or so,
        and in any event my day job has been keeping me inordinately busy for the
        past several months. But although I've been rather quiet here for the most
        part, I've continued observing comets (although at a distinctly reduced rate
        during the second half of last year).

        Anyway, while I would hesitate to call it a "program" -- I think of it more
        as an informational resource ‹ I finally do have some web pages up
        describing my latest efforts, which I'm provisionally calling "Counting
        Comets" (frankly, for lack of anything better to call it). You'll find it at
        http://www.earthriseinstitute.org/counting.html. Here I list the continuing
        additions to my tally, descriptions about comets I'm currently observing, a
        list of notable upcoming comets, and for those who are interested, a
        statistical analysis of my first 500 comets. I plan to update the "currently
        observable" list about every one to two weeks, and I'll update the tally
        pages and the "upcoming" pages when necessary. Unlike "Countdown," there
        won't be any fanfare when I add more comets to my tally.

        These pages are a work in progress. For the time being, I've focused
        primarily on content as opposed to style and appearance, although I'll try
        to get to that at some point.

        Mike Holloway, I took the liberty of including one of your excellent images
        (duly credited) of C/2011 L4 in my description of that object. Mike
        Mattiazzo, your report about C/2012 V2 happened to arrive just as I was
        getting ready to post everything, and thus I was able to add this object to
        the "observable comets" page (under the "Southern Hemisphere Only" section).
        Most timely! (For what it's worth, I unsuccessfully attempted this object on
        a couple of occasions earlier this year before it entered solar conjunction.
        Although it's almost exclusively a southern hemisphere object from here on
        out, there's a brief window in mid-September when it might be accessible
        from here if it maintains its current brightness.)

        Anyway, I hope everyone finds "Counting Comets" useful. I'm open to
        suggestions, etc., and meanwhile let's continue getting ready for ISON, and
        others.

        Sincerely,

        Alan

      • Alan Hale
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2013
          Hi everyone,

          I managed to observe this object visually a couple of nights ago (m1 =
          14.4). (We had one very clear night here, a break from the summer monsoon
          which has been especially intense this year.) While performing my customary
          check for planetary encounters, etc., while preparing my writeup for
          "Counting Comets," I happened to notice something rather interesting: this
          comet has apparently been in a remarkably stable orbit for several
          centuries, with no approaches to Jupiter (within 2 AU, anyway), and only a
          couple of distant approaches to Saturn during that time. This pattern
          continues for the next several centuries. The comet's orbital period is very
          close to a 3:4 ratio with that of Jupiter's orbit.

          I'm wondering if this might be an object similar to 28P/Neujmin 1 and
          49P/Arend-Rigaux, both of which are also in relatively stable orbits, and
          both of which have relatively large but almost completely inert nuclei that
          are almost completely covered in dust and organics (since they are never
          "shaken up" by approaches to Jupiter and the after-effects of such). Its
          overall visual appearance (tiny and condensed coma) is similar to that of
          these comets when I've observed them.

          Sincerely,

          Alan

        • skyweek
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2013
            > I have a tweet here from Doug Snyder [...] that he saw Comet Ison on Aug 7

            Not exactly - Snyder's tweet
            https://twitter.com/arizona31n/status/365614073091600384 from yesterday
            says: "A member of the Huachuca Astronomy Club successfully imaged Comet
            ISON on Aug. 7 from southeastern Arizona. YOOHOO!"

            Asked him for details (this was his 1st and so far only tweet, BTW); since
            it wasn't a visual sighting but an image - or perhaps several images - the
            veracity of the claim could actually be checked. ISON's elongation was a
            mere 16° on that day and the magnitude (predicted as) 13th - hmm ...

            Dan
          • Eddie
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2013
              This is what I got from Doug an hour ago...

              "Douglas Snyder þ@arizona31n 1h
              Not me - a club member using video 'stacking' on Aug. 7 (am) . Very low elevation about 1200 UT (we're UT-7). JPL HORIZONS Ephemeris."

              Best wishes to all