Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) + 8 degree anti-tail

  • Richard Miles
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2013
      Despite a nearly full moon in the sky, 20-minute stacked exposures were
      sufficient to trace the anti-tail to at least 8.0 degrees in length on 2013
      May 25.97, just 1 day before our line-of-sight crosses this comet's orbital
      plane.

      http://www.britastro.org/~rmiles/Images/C2011L4_20130525_Miles1.jpg

      Richard Miles
      BAA
    • Roger W. Sinnott
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2013
        Richard,

        Wow! That's exactly as long as the antitail of Comet Arend-Roland was, in a
        photograph taken on April 26, 1957.

        Roger

        Message 3 of 5 , May 25, 2013
          Hi Richard,

          Great shot(s), what does this length equate to in km's?
          Incredible!

          Cheers,
          Chris Wyatt
          walcha, NSW
          Australia

          > To: les_cometes@...; comets-disc@...; comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
          > From: rmiles.btee@...
          > Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 01:16:35 +0000
          > Subject: [comets-ml] Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) + 8 degree anti-tail
          >
          > Despite a nearly full moon in the sky, 20-minute stacked exposures were
          > sufficient to trace the anti-tail to at least 8.0 degrees in length on 2013
          > May 25.97, just 1 day before our line-of-sight crosses this comet's orbital
          > plane.
          >
          > http://www.britastro.org/~rmiles/Images/C2011L4_20130525_Miles1.jpg
          >
          > Richard Miles
          > BAA

        • Richard Miles
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2013
            Thanks Chris,

            Projected on the sky, the apparent length of the anti-tail is 37.5 million
            km.

            But remember, we are seeing a three-dimensional fan-shaped 'anomalous tail'
            edge-on and also projected at some angle to its orbit, so its actual
            distribution in space is significantly in excess of this. Also, if it were
            seen in a properly dark sky and/or through infrared eyes, my guess is that
            the anti-tail would stretch back towards the Sun by several tens of degrees.
            i.e. approaching 1 AU in extent.

            Richard

            > Great shot(s), what does this length equate to in km's?
            > Incredible!
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Chris Wyatt
            > walcha, NSW
            > Australia

            >> To: les_cometes@...; comets-disc@...;
            >> comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
            >> From: rmiles.btee@...
            >> Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 01:16:35 +0000
            >> Subject: [comets-ml] Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) + 8 degree anti-tail
            >>
            >> Despite a nearly full moon in the sky, 20-minute stacked exposures were
            >> sufficient to trace the anti-tail to at least 8.0 degrees in length on
            >> 2013
            >> May 25.97, just 1 day before our line-of-sight crosses this comet's
            >> orbital
            >> plane.
            >>
            >> http://www.britastro.org/~rmiles/Images/C2011L4_20130525_Miles1.jpg
            >>
            >> Richard Miles
            >> BAA

            >> NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should
            >> be indicated by:
            >>
            >> Comets Mailing List [date]
            >> http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/comets-ml
            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should
            > be indicated by:

          • David Seargent
            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2013
              Interesting that the anti-tail of this comet is so much larger than the Type II tail. I recall a similar situation way back in 1980 with Comet Cernis-Petrauskas which ONLY had an anti-tail. The main tail of L4 was unusually short for such a bright comet, so I wonder if most of the dust shed by objects like C-P and L4 is in the form of large particles rather than the fine dust typical of Type II tails? Just a thought!

              Cheers,

              David

              To: comets-ml@yahoogroups.com