Re: Analysis Update

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 100 , Apr 20 2:58 PM
      Nice work Andreas! I suppose with tail length, it's a matter of how far you want to go. With C/2012 F6, the tail length was reported at 9 degrees or so by several observers around end Feb/early Mar, and I even got a faint trace of it out to 14 degrees on 01 March with pretty basic gear. Who knows how long it actually was? Even visually it was reported a lot longer than 3-degrees at its brightest.

      Length depended really at what scale you imaged it, viz two shots of mine from 01 March at 134mm (6 deg) and 55mm (14 deg):
      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/C2012F628Feb2013text.jpg
      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/lemmon01March2013tail.jpg

      It was a similar case with C/2011 W3 (Lovejoy) where it was imaged out to 46 degrees but rarely at the scale necessary to show the long tail, and in most cases it was cut off at frame edges (or edge vignetting), or lost in the brightness of the Milky Way.

      The reality is that all comets have vast tails of course, when you consider the action of the solar wind over the whole orbit! The tail lengths we report are pretty arbitrary, an Earth- & technology-based construct, even when we earnestly convert degrees to millions of kilometres. It's a wonder nobody's tried to standardise it, a cut-off point on the absolute brightness of the tail, eek....

      Cheers -

      Rob Kaufman
      Bright, Victoria, Australia

      --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "kammerer_a" <kammerer_a@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I have updated my analysis of the currently brighter comets. You can find it at the URL
      >
      > http://kometen.fg-vds.de/aktause.htm
      >
      > To me, it is especially interesting, that comet C/2012 F6 (Lemmon) showed a very positive evolution and even surpassed comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) in terms of tail length.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Andreas

    • kammerer_a
      Message 100 of 100 , Feb 13

        Hi all,

        I have updated my analysis of the currently brighter comets. You can find it at the URL