Fw: C/2011L4 questions

  • denis buczynski
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2013
      -----Original Message-----
      From: denis buczynski
      Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:47 PM
      To: COML ; BAA Comets discussion list
      Subject: C/2011L4 questions

      Hello all,
      Could anyone on this list answer a few questions about this comet's physical appearance.
      Firstly, has there been an estimate of the physical size of the nucleus?
      2) How much dust has been released from the nucleus to maintain the large fan tail we have seen and
      imaged for so long. Also has spectroscopy revealed the nature of the material released from the
      nucleus.
      3) Has there been a gas component imaged in the tail? The colour imaging has only shown a yellow fan
      with no blue gas feature.
      4) We have see and imaged the forward spike/antitail for a month or more now , with little change in
      the PA of this feature with respect to the comet head. I assume that as the viewing geometry is
      changing all the time as we are see the comet moving away from earth. Why is the PA of this forward
      spike/antitail not changing with time? On Comet Arend- Roland the antitail lasted only a few days
      (11 I believe) and was seen to swing round as the viewing geometry changed.
      4) What is the cause of the forward spike/antitail, is it just a question of viewing perspective.
      5) Has there been any specific professional observing campaign on this comet?

      Thank you in advance
      Denis Buczynski
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18, 2013
        Hi Denis - re spectroscopy, you might find it interesting to refer to this discussion on ARAS for some information (5 pages with updates):
        http://www.spectro-aras.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=567

        I think there are several other amateur spectra around, check the astronomical_spectroscopy Yahoo group.

        I also managed to image the sodium emission in the main dust tail while L4 was still in southern skies but it was a very low-res spectrum taken with a Star Analyser grating:
        http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/Panst-Lemmspectra28Feb01Mar2013.jpg

        Cheers -

        Rob Kaufman
        Bright, Victoria, Australia

> [...]
      • Uwe Pilz
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18, 2013
          Dear Denis,

          > How much dust

          My simulation gives a dust production of 70 ... 80 tons per second
          in perihel.

          >  a gas component imaged in the tail?

          The dust tail is weak, but it does exist. Look at this image
          http://kometen.fg-vds.de/pix/2011L4/2011L4_3_16032013.htm [1]

          > We have see and imaged the forward spike/antitail

          I don't believe in an antitail. We look at PanStarrs with not much
          perspectival shortening.
          The nature of the streamer on the southern part of the tail is not
          complete clear for me. It could be a syndyname, but syndynames at
          this positions consists of large particles (around 10µm) which means
          the syndyname should be bent. But we see a straight feature. Still a
          lot of wonders on comets.

          I am interested to read the answers you got from other sources like
          BAA.

          --
          Uwe Pilz, Leipzig, Germany

[...]

           +++++