C/2012 F6 (Lemmon) post-perihelion report + spectrum

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2013
      Got up early this morning and went to a mountaintop location to attempt to see this comet low in morning skies. Successful despite low altitude, upper level haze in the east, smoke from burning off, and a nearby crescent Moon. Here's an image, best I could do under the circumstances.
      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/C2012F606Apr2013text.jpg

      I also obtained a very poor quality, low-resolution spectrum. About all you can say is that there's probably not much change since the last spectrum I took on 28 Feb, still a predominantly gassy comet with strong diatomic carbon emissions.
      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/Lemmspectra28Febamp06Apr2013comptemp.jpg

      I saw the comet through 10 x 50 binoculars in between taking the spectrum frames. The low eastern sky was brightening rapidly at this stage. No tail was visible (no doubt due to conditions) and it just looked like a fuzzy star. It appeared to be about the same magnitude as a mag 5.8 star only 10 arcminutes above it (M method).

      Cheers -

      Rob Kaufman
      Bright, Victoria, Australia
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2013
        Sorry, here's the full spectrum image:
        http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/Lemmspectra28Febamp06Apr2013compb.jpg

        Not enough sleep, too early in the morning!!

        Rob