C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) from Norway

  • bgranslo@astro.uio.no
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2013
      Thanks to very good weather this comet has been well observed from Norway,
      both
      photographically and visually. It became visible from March 12 and I have
      been
      able to observe it formally for twelve nights, including all evenings since
      March 21. My observations, from in or near Oslo, have been reported to ICQ
      and
      Astrosite Groningen.

      My latest observation (using 10x50 B) was made shortly before moonrise:
      Mar. 28.82 UT, coma mag. 3.9, Dia. 3', DC 6-7, tail 2.0-deg in p.a. 15 deg.

      Comet PANSTARRS was quite easily visible to the naked eye as a light pillar
      pointing upwards. It was clearly brighter than the Andromeda Galaxy that was
      also seen without optical aid.

      With best regards,
      Bjørn H. Granslo
    • P. Edward Murray
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2013
        Bjorn,

        You are doing a heck of a lot better than most of us in the States....

        Ed Murray
        Thanks to very good weather this comet has been well observed from Norway,
        both
        photographically and visually. It became visible from March 12

      • skyweek
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2013
          And if you still need proof that Norway is the place to be for PANSTARRS,
          check out http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=79964
          and read the caption ...

          Dan