P/2002 O4?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002

      out of curiosity I have taken the astrometric data of MPEC 2002-O45 and
      analysed them with FindOrb. Interestingly a elliptic solution is still
      possible, showing even smaller residuals although only slightly. The
      periods I received ranged between about 120 years (all observations) and
      20 years (247 observations, thrown out the ones with the highest
      residuals of the parabolic solution).

      PLEASE, do not take this result for real and announce it as official and
      correct! The observed arc is still too short to decide about an
      elliptical solution. I guess it will take at least some weeks to say
      something definite about it. A ellipse of shorter period should be
      detected earlier than the longer period ones.

      Nevertheless, the coming astrometry will be very interesting.

      Oh, yes, of course, this comet would not receive a P/ unless its period
      is lower than 20 years, else we would have to wait for the next perihelion.

      Kind regards, Maik