Comet Panstarrs brightening slowdown

  • Jakub Cerny
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2013
      Hello all,

      growing number of post-conjunction visual observations of comet
      Panstarrs leads me to try analyse pure visual light curve of this comet.

      You can see it on this location:
      http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/panstarrs-lc-2013_1.jpg
      (Analysis is based on 155 visual observations.)

      You can see, that there is noticeable brightening slowdown for this
      comet, that was expected for it as for dynamically new comet from Oort
      cloud.

      If this trend will continue till perihelion, it maximal brightness will
      be +1 mag (or less).

      Best regards,
      Jakub Cerny
    • Seiichi Yoshida
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2013
        Daer colleagues,

        Today I updated my light curve of Comet C/2011 L4 ( PanSTARRS ).

        Finally, I changed my magntiude formula for prediction based on the
        recent slow down.

        http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/2011L4/2011L4.html

        The comet will be +3 mag at best by this formula.

        Best regards,

        --
        Seiichi Yoshida
        comet@...