The 2013 Astronomy "Top 100"

  • DAVID
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
      Dear Gang,
      Have composed a Top 100 list for 2013, along with comet prospects and charts;

      http://astroguyz.com/2012/12/31/the-top-astronomy-events-for-2013/

      Enjoy!

      Thanks,

      Dave Dickinson
    • Sorin Hotea
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
        Hello,

        Your link is not available.

        Sorin

        Sent from my iPad

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
          Sorin,

          > Your link is not available.
          >
          > > Dear Gang,
          > > Have composed a Top 100 list for 2013, along with comet prospects and charts;
          > >
          > > http://astroguyz.com/2012/12/31/the-top-astronomy-events-for-2013/

          no, it works fine.

          Maik
        • harry
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
            Dear Dave,
                              thanks for your top 100 items of interest for 2013,
                              I was waiting for someone to publish a calendar of
                              astro events to occur, and you did a great job

                              Harry Garcia, Jr.-- Monroe eve news co.

            > Have composed a Top 100 list for 2013, along with comet prospects and charts;
            >
            > http://astroguyz.com/2012/12/31/the-top-astronomy-events-for-2013/
            >
            > Enjoy!
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Dave Dickinson

            __._,d_.___

            Reply to sender
            Reply to group
            Start a New Topic
            Messages in this topic (2)
            Recent Activity:

            New Members 19
            New Photos 2
            Visit Your Group
            Comet Observations List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CometObs/

            NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should be indicated by:

            Comets Mailing List [date]
            http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/comets-ml

            DD.

          • Sorin Hotea
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
              Unfortunately it still does not work for me and I'm really interested of the content of that page.

              Sorin

              Sent from my iPad

            • SabiaJohn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                Dave,

                I like the effort you put into this. It covers more types of events than I put into the yearly almanac I put together my astro club's website http://lackawannaastronomicalsociety.org/?page_id=1002target=#2013 Later links to photos of the event taken by members are added in the Almanac.
                The local sky events are listed in the printed calendar we produce. I cover local sky events, yours also take in the ISS, Solar and Lunar eclipse and asteroids and more.

                Good work.

                John D Sabia

              • dfischer@astro.uni-bonn.de
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                  Since it's apparently open season for promoting almanacs, here's mine:
                  http://skyweek.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/bedeutendes-am-himmel-im-jahr-2013
                  - while in German, the many links to websites in different languages (but
                  with often cool graphics) and the general references on the bottom should
                  be of use in any case.

                  What I *still* have to find are diagrams showing the comets PANSTARRS and
                  ISON in the sky during their best weeks, with at least an indication in
                  which direction the (fan of the) *dust* tail would point: people either
                  plot just an anti-solar streak or nothing at all ...

                  Daniel
                • denis buczynski
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                    Hi Daniel,
                    Try this link on Martin McKenna web site
                    http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Comets%20Visible%20Tonight!.html

                    I have been trying to contact Martin without luck recently about speaking at the BAA Comet Section meeting in Northampton on May 13 2013. If he reads this please contact me. Also anybody on this list is welcome to attend our meeting if you are in the UK on that date.
                    Denis Buczynski
                    Secretary Comet Section
                    British Astronomical Association

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                      First link did not work, try this one

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                        You will have to highlight, copy and paste the entire line as only part of it is
                        hyperlinked.

                        If you merely click on the hyperlinked part below, you will get a "404 page not
                        found error"

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                          > You will have to highlight, copy and paste the entire line as only part of
                          > it is hyperlinked.

                          In any case it doesn't help because the comets shown there - which were
                          copied from http://www.eagleseye.me.uk/Sky/Wordpress/?p=1922 - are again
                          shown with perfectly straight tails ...

                          Dan
                        • piotrek16
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                            Dan,

                            The dust tail of the comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) will be curved "to the left" and broad. One may expect this curvature to be rather strong, especially around the time of perihelion, since the comet will then be moving pretty quickly in the direction more or less perpendicular to its radius vector. Additionally we will be watching it more or less "face on", thus the geometrical effects will neither diminish the tails observed curvature nor its width. However the exact value of this curvature is hard to predict, because it strongly depends on the distribution of dust particles sizes.

                            On the other hand, the tail of the comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) should be rather straight (probably slightly curved to the left) and not too broad, because (excluding a short the time when close to the perihelion), the comet will move almost exactly in its radius vector direction. Thus all of the dust particles released from the nucleus will be moving essesntially in the same (close to antisolar) direction.

                            Best Regards
                            Piotr Guzik
                          • eagleseye@btinternet.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
                              Sorry if my diagrams gave the wrong impression and do not show curved tails. But the planetarium software will only show the anti-solar direction of the tail. So unfortunately that's the best I can do.

                              Dave

                            • eagleseye@btinternet.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
                                I have added a disclaimer announcing this on my Web page.

                              • eagleseye@btinternet.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
                                  Whether the images are representative or not, it's good to see some healthy discussion on this subject.

                                  The excitement is definitely building...