C/2011 L4 (PanSTARRS), 18 Dec 2012

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2012
      It's back and going OK. Managed to image this comet at very low altitude in a fast-brightening sky this morning. Trailed a bit but nonetheless the comet is clearly visible. Position should improve day by day until the Moon kills it.

      I added some star magnitudes to the image, TYC and rubbery. The comet definitely appears brighter than mag 10, how much brighter is difficult to say because any extended coma would have been washed out with the sky brightness, other factors aside.

      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/C2011L418Dec2012text.jpg

      Cheers -

      Rob Kaufman
      Bright, Victoria, Australia
    • James
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2012
        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" wrote:

        It's back and going OK. Managed to image this comet at very low altitude in a fast-brightening sky this morning. Trailed a bit but nonetheless the comet is clearly visible. Position should improve day by day until the Moon kills it.

        I added some star magnitudes to the image, TYC and rubbery. The comet definitely appears brighter than mag 10, how much brighter is difficult to say because any extended coma would have been washed out with the sky brightness, other factors aside.

        http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/C2011L418Dec2012text.jpg

        Cheers -

        Rob Kaufman
        Bright, Victoria, Australia

        I know comet ISON is getting most of the attention, but I am excitedly waiting for comet PanSTARRS. I live in North Dakota U.S.A. 47 degrees north (so I will not get a chance to see PanSTARRS until March), but I look forward to reading the expectations and progress, and seeing photos until then. I have been a member of this group for a couple of years but have never sent a message. I am not new to comets however, my first one was Kobayashi-Berger-Milon 1975N1. I could not find Kohoutek @#!! I still enjoy the hype even if the comets do not live up to it. It seems for every Kohoutek and Austin 1989X1 (sorry Rodney), there is a West (my favorite) or a Hyakutake (2nd favorite), that exceeds expectations. I have always been jealous of 1910 and 1957 having two great comets. Here's hoping 2013 will satisfy that longing.

        Jim Skinner
        North Dakota, USA
      • kaufman_rob

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2012
            Hi Jim,
            No worries! Another case of all care and no responsibility [?]
            Cheers
            Rodney