C/2012 F6 Lemmon observation Dec 12 UT

  • Michael Mattiazzo
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2012
      Hello all,

      I made my first visual observation this morning of comet C/2012 F6 Lemmon using Tycho T2 photometry as comparison.

      Morris format
      2012 Dec 12.69 UT: m1=9.8, Dia.=6', DC=4...20cm L 57x...Michael Mattiazzo (Castlemaine, Victoria)

      ICQ format
      2012 Dec 12.69, 9.8, 6' (M. Mattiazzo, Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia, 20-cm reflector);

      Comet Lemmon is surprisingly bright and over 4 magnitudes brighter than the ephemeris.
      This observation would indicate an absolute magnitude of 5.5. (if n=4 assumed)
      The coma is large, at least 6', and strongly enhanced through a swan band comet filter.

      If this comet is gassy in nature, as its visual appearance suggests, we may expect a faster rate of brightening (n=6) than usual,
      which could put its peak brightness at magnitude 3 next March, as suggested by Seiichi Yosida at
      http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/2012F6/2012F6.html
      or more conservatively, magnitude 5.

      Continued observations are encouraged.

      cheers,