Re: [comets-ml] New SWAN comet = D/Pons-Gambart

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
      I may add that the only uncertainty is the period. The initial period was in the
      range of 46 to 64 years. So currently it is not clear how many perihelion passages
      we might have missed since 1827.

      Cheers, Maik

    • Burkhard
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
        Hello Maik,

        great news that this comet is finally back!

        The period was given with 65.5 by Hasegawa & Nakano.
        With the return now it would be around 62 years an we would have missed two returns?

        1827, 1889, 1951, 2013

        Regards
        Burkhard

        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Maik Meyer" <maik@...> wrote:

        > I may add that the only uncertainty is the period. The initial period was in the
        > range of 46 to 64 years. So currently it is not clear how many perihelion passages
        > we might have missed since 1827.
        >
        > Cheers, Maik
        >
        > --
        > If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. * Juan Ramon Jimenez

      • Matson, Robert D.
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
          Hi Maik,

          Well that's an exciting linkage -- fourth oldest entry on your D/
          list:

          http://www.comethunter.de/lost.html

          http://cometography.com/pcomets/1827m1.html

          Good work! --Rob

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
            It´s official now, SWAN12B designated as C/2012 V4 (CBET 3320)

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
              Hello all,

              > It´s official now, SWAN12B designated as C/2012 V4 (CBET 3320)

              yes, but the name has not yet been assigned.

              The reason is that while the ID is probably correct (and which was independently
              also suggested by G. V. Williams) the attempts to link the orbit with two missed
              intermediate revolutions lead to systematic residuals up to 0.5 deg for the 1827
              apparition.

              Since the current observations still span a very short arc it is hard to tell
              whether this is due to a wrong period adopted or maybe due to nongravitaional
              forces that may be present. I think the final decision can be made when the 2012
              orbit is improved.

              Anyway, it is exciting that another of the lost comets -- and this time a
              long-lost -- can be probably closed.

              Congratulations to Rob!

              Cheers, Maik
            • Bob King
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2012
                Hi everyone,
                Nice to see the return of an old comet! I've seen some conflicting
                information on who recovered C/2012 V4. Was it Rob Matson or Terry
                Lovejoy who spotted it in the SWAN images. I'm writing a short blog on
                the discovery and would like to get it right. Thanks!
                Bob

                On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Maik Meyer <maik@...> wrote:

                > Hello all,
                >

                > > It´s official now, SWAN12B designated as C/2012 V4 (CBET 3320)
                >
                > yes, but the name has not yet been assigned.
                >
                > The reason is that while the ID is probably correct (and which was independently
                > also suggested by G. V. Williams) the attempts to link the orbit with two missed
                > intermediate revolutions lead to systematic residuals up to 0.5 deg for the 1827
                > apparition.
                >
                > Since the current observations still span a very short arc it is hard to tell
                > whether this is due to a wrong period adopted or maybe due to nongravitaional
                > forces that may be present. I think the final decision can be made when the 2012
                > orbit is improved.
                >
                > Anyway, it is exciting that another of the lost comets -- and this time a
                > long-lost -- can be probably closed.
                >
                > Congratulations to Rob!
                >
                > Cheers, Maik
                >
                > --
                > If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. * Juan Ramon Jimenez

              • terryjlovejoy
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2012
                  Hi Bob,

                  Rob Matson found the comet, I then did follow groundbased imaging to track down the comet.

                  Terry