Comet Hale-Bopp C/1995 O1 - observed tonite

  • Dave Herald
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
      I’ve just had a serious attempt at imaging this comet – and have succeeded. The last reported observation was on 2010 Dec 4, with a reported magnitude of 23.4. However the ephemeris magnitude is currently given as 20.8.

      I took 42 images of 4-min duration. For reporting astrometry, and to be sure that I had a ‘real’ image of the comet, I made three stacks – each with 14 images (effectively almost 1-hour exposure in each stack). The three stacks showed an object in the ‘right’ position moving correctly between the three stacks.

      Shortly before I completed the exercise, I made a stack of 36 images – for a total exposure of 144 minutes. That image is at:
      http://tinyurl.com/9j3gz4c

      The field of view (cropped form the original) is about 4 arc min square. The comet is moving at 4/2”/hr south. The comet is indicated by the 4 yellow lines on the image – a small faint dot.... There are quite a few other ‘dots’ on the image from cosmic rays etc. However any one of those is present on only one of the three 14-image stacks used for astrometry – whereas the object identified is present on all three stacks.

      Dave Herald
      Murrumbateman, Australia

    • Alan Hale
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
        Dear Dave,

        Outstanding work! I'm glad to see it's still around.

        Sincerely,

        Alan
      • Hidetaka
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
          Hi,

          This was very exciting, the farthest record of cometary detection!!

          regards
          Hidetaka Sato
        • Brian Cudnik
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
            That's amazing...are people still imaging 1P/Halley? That would be something if
            they can follow it through its 2023 aphelion and track it back into the inner
            solar system....Brian Cudnik

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
              Congratulations Dave Herald. of Murrumbateman, Australia.
              That's amazing.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
                Hi Dave,Great capture! Congratulations! Cheers,
                Chris WWalcha NSWAustralia> To: Comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
                > From: drherald@...
                > Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 01:03:28 +1000
                > Subject: [comets-ml] Comet Hale-Bopp C/1995 O1 - observed tonite
                >
                > I�ve just had a serious attempt at imaging this comet � and have succeeded. The last reported observation was on 2010 Dec 4, with a reported magnitude of 23.4. However the ephemeris magnitude is currently given as 20.8.
                >
                > I took 42 images of 4-min duration. For reporting astrometry, and to be sure that I had a �real� image of the comet, I made three stacks � each with 14 images (effectively almost 1-hour exposure in each stack). The three stacks showed an object in the �right� position moving correctly between the three stacks.
                >
                > Shortly before I completed the exercise, I made a stack of 36 images � for a total exposure of 144 minutes. That image is at:
                > http://tinyurl.com/9j3gz4c
                >
                > The field of view (cropped form the original) is about 4 arc min square. The comet is moving at 4/2�/hr south. The comet is indicated by the 4 yellow lines on the image � a small faint dot.... There are quite a few other �dots� on the image from cosmic rays etc. However any one of those is present on only one of the three 14-image stacks used for astrometry � whereas the object identified is present on all three stacks.
                >

                > Dave Herald
                > Murrumbateman, Australia

              • Rodney Austin
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
                  Hi David,
                  That is a truly phenomenal achievement! Congratulations!
                  Cheers
                  Rod

                • John Drummond
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 8, 2012
                    Wow! According to Guide 9.0 it is -

                    ‘Dist from home planet: 32.86441188 AU (4,916,446,038 km)’

                    Very well done Dave – you deserve a gold medal!

                    John Drummond
                    Possum Observatory Complex
                    International Astro Union Code: E94
                    Gisborne, New Zealand
                    E: 177d 53', S: 38d 38'
                    Email: john_drummond@...
                    Website: www.possumobservatory.co.nz

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 8, 2012
                      Hi dave,
                      this is a very interesting and significave achievement, congratulations! Did you found the comet close to the ephemerids position?
                      Kind regards,
                      Giovanni Sostero
                    • terryjlovejoy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 8, 2012
                        Wow Dave!

                        According to my ephemeris Hale-Bopp was over 33 AU from the sun, further than either Neptune or Pluto! It is also as far a Halley is at the moment (as Halley approaches it aphelion). This surely must be the most distant comet observation on record.

                        Terry
                      • ligustri rolando
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 8, 2012
                          WOW super job with only a 16" telescope! great

                          regards
                          Rolando

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 8, 2012
                            Hi Dave,
                            about your reported observation of 2012, Aug.07 of C/1995 O1 (Hale-Bopp).

                            --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Herald" <drherald@...> wrote:
                            > I took 42 images of 4-min duration. For reporting astrometry,

                            I have not found yet yours astrometry lines in the MPCOBS database, and the "Dates of last confirmed astrometric observation reported to the Minor Planet Center" (http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/lists/LastCometObs.html) still list the ESO-La Silla 2010, Dec.04 data as the last report.

                            Any clue about it?

                            Thanks,
                            Giovanni
                          • Dave Herald
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 10, 2012
                              I have tried to repeat my imaging of this comet on another night – without success (usually less than ideal circumstances). I think the MPC is treating my observation with deserved caution, and are waiting for me to get another successful imaging session.

                              Dave Herald
                              Murrumbateman, Australia

                              about your reported observation of 2012, Aug.07 of C/1995 O1 (Hale-Bopp).

                              --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Herald" <drherald@...> wrote:
                              > I took 42 images of 4-min duration. For reporting astrometry,

                              I have not found yet yours astrometry lines in the MPCOBS database, and the "Dates of last confirmed astrometric observation reported to the Minor Planet Center" (http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/lists/LastCometObs.html) still list the ESO-La Silla 2010, Dec.04 data as the last report.

                              Any clue about it?

                              Thanks,
                              Giovanni

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • "Sárneczky, Krisztián"
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 10, 2012
                                Dear Members,

                                Please find some interesting new results on comet Hale-Bopp here:

                                http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.2785

                                Best regards,
                                Krisztián

                                > I have tried to repeat my imaging of this comet on another night – without
                                > success (usually less than ideal circumstances). I think the MPC is treating
                                > my observation with deserved caution, and are waiting for me to get another
                                > successful imaging session.
                                >

                                > Dave Herald
                                > Murrumbateman, Australia

                              • gvnn64
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 11, 2012
                                  Hi Dave,
                                  thanks for yours reply.

                                  > I have tried to repeat my imaging of this comet on another night â€" without success (usually less than ideal circumstances). I think the MPC is treating my observation with deserved caution, and are waiting for me to get another successful imaging session.

                                  Right, this makes sense, since we are dealing with the ONS of a pretty difficult target. We might be of some help here, since recently we tried some follow-up observations on this comet, through the 2-m Faulkes Telescope-South at Siding Spring.

                                  Our conclusion, based on a five night's observation arc, is that we cannot find it, down to a limiting magnitude of R about 23.5. You can find some additional informations on what we have done, along with a few images, in our blog's update: http://bit.ly/Q1fqN2

                                  Kind regards,
                                  Giovanni