Interview with Luboš Kohoutek

  • Stefan Kürti
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2012
      Do you remember comet Kohoutek 1973f ? I bet that older readers of mpml/comet-ml for sure and younger ones at least heard about it . I interviewed its discoverer last year and tried to cover all part of his astronomy work. And it was not only about his famous comet. If you are interested in it, read it here:

      http://www.skaw.sk/enkohoutek.htm

      I hope, it may recall few nice memories of winter of 1973/1974.  So, enjoy!

      Stefan

    • Rodney Austin
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2012
        My main memory of 1973f was attempting to do photometry on the central
        condensation over the Xmas of 1973, at the Mt John Observatory in New
        Zealand. To that end I spent one of the few Xmases in my life away from my
        family. The very first attempt was a failure due to the main power to the
        equipment literally exploding, as a failing transformer in the
        photomultiplier HT power supply attempted to launch the whole lot out of
        the dome. There wasn't a second attempt as all the technicians were on
        holiday, and in any case it also managed at the same time to destroy the
        data recording system which was just above the power supply in the
        instrument rack. Words failed me at the time, but I sure remember the
        occasion vividly. [?]
        Cheers
        Rod Austin