Lovejoy tail 43 deg +, 15 Jan 2012

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2012
      Clouds thwarted me last night but Lester Barnes of Sth Aust has continued his great photographic work on this comet and last night obtained a very deep widefield image (5 x 12 minute exposures at ISO 400 with 24mm lens at F2). This clearly but faintly shows the tail extending 43 degrees, and probably out of the edge of his frame at 45 deg +. The MW intereferes a bit right near the edge of the frame. With permission, here's his image, with my enhancement and annotation:
      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/Untitled-1lestertaillengthsm.jpg

      Unfortunately Lester begins shearing on his farm tomorrow so that's all he'll be able to contribute for a while.

      As an aside, how do people on this list estimate lengths? I use the measuring tool in Starry Night. Should be very accurate as it's pretty simple maths - angle subtended at centre by two points on a sphere.

      Cheers -

      Rob Kaufman
      Bright, Vic
    • JS & EJ Gifford
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2012
        Amazing, Rob. My single exposures from last night are limited to the first 3
        or 4 degrees of the tail as it skirts the LMC. I have posted one, but it is
        really only of interest as an indicator of just how faint this feature now
        is. Photo at
        http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6455983989/photos/1678467/img_8038 .

        For measuring I use Bill Gray's Guide software.

        Regards, Jim Gifford

        _____