Re: Comet Lovejoy from Western Australia

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14, 2012
      Great job Ralf, bringing that out of the background! There might be another possible explanation - there is a faint feature coming out of the LMC that very approximately matches it, probably a disrupted arm of the galaxy. Could be that it's just a chance alignment that makes it appear associated, especially with the clipping in the image. Will be interesting to see if the fan in the tail can be found when the tail fully clears the LMC. Here's some rough work using Lester Barnes' image from last night (14 Jan) to show what I mean:
      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/Untitled-1sm.jpg

      Cheers -

      Rob Kaufman
      Bright, Victoria, Australia

      --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Ralf Vandebergh" <ralf.vandebergh@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jim,
      >
      > I made 2 processings for to boost up the contrast of the comet and what I found is that the tail seems to fan out across the entire width of the LMC, see here:
      > http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/6002/lj3dk.jpg
      >
      > Note this processing is entirely adjusted on the comets contrast for maximum detail so it's not a 'nice natural picture'.
      > The negative processing is a very easy technique to do and can improve contrast in an easy way:
      > http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/5400/lj3neg.jpg
      >
      > Hope this was useful!
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > Ralf Vandebergh

    • Ralf Vandebergh
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2012
        Thanks Bob, I think it's indeed the galaxy arm. I missed for any reason your images (I just watch groups now and then) and as a northern hemisphere observer I am not too much familiar with the LMC...

        Ralf

        Great job Ralf, bringing that out of the background! There might be another possible explanation - there is a faint feature coming out of the LMC that very approximately matches it, probably a disrupted arm of the galaxy. Could be that it's just a chance alignment that makes it appear associated, especially with the clipping in the image. Will be interesting to see if the fan in the tail can be found when the tail fully clears the LMC. Here's some rough work using Lester Barnes' image from last night (14 Jan) to show what I mean:
        http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/Untitled-1sm.jpg

        Cheers -

        Rob Kaufman
        Bright, Victoria, Australia

        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Ralf Vandebergh" <ralf.vandebergh@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jim,
        >
        > I made 2 processings for to boost up the contrast of the comet and what I found is that the tail seems to fan out across the entire width of the LMC, see here:
        > http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/6002/lj3dk.jpg
        >
        > Note this processing is entirely adjusted on the comets contrast for maximum detail so it's not a 'nice natural picture'.
        > The negative processing is a very easy technique to do and can improve contrast in an easy way:
        > http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/5400/lj3neg.jpg
        >
        > Hope this was useful!
        >
        > Best wishes,
        > Ralf Vandebergh

        Versie: 2012.0.1901 / Virusdatabase: 2109/4744 - datum van uitgifte: 01/15/12

      • jbortle@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 15, 2012
          Indeed, the broad, fan-like, feature seen on the image could not be
          reasonably explainable as a "tail" since the bulk of the feature precedes the
          comet's ERV by many degrees.

          J.Bortle

          --- In _comets-ml@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:comets-ml@yahoogroups.com) ,