Lovejoy images 05 Jan 2012 (04 Jan UT)

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2012
      Some of my images from the early hours of this morning linked below. There was still a bit of moonlight in the sky but the Moon had disappeared behind the hills. 2:10am, 05 Jan local time (15:10, 04 Jan UT) - 50 sec subs off the tripod, Canon 400D, 18mm, ISO 1600, F/4.5:
      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/C2011W304Jan201215-10UT18mmfulladjred.jpg

      Star trail stack, showing growing proximity of tail to South Celestial Pole:
      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/StartrailsW304Jan2012copycsm.jpg

      Animation with my last 'useable' image from 2 Jan UT. Extent is limited by the 2 Jan shot but tail is showing faintly out to the top of that frame, or 33-degrees. Can't be certain of anything beyond that.
      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/gifanim02-04Jan2012.gif

      Visually there wasn't much to see with the lingering moonlight. I seemed to get some faint flashes of the tail in averted vision but nothing I could hold.

      Cheers -

      Rob Kaufman
      Bright, Victoria, Australia
      https://sites.google.com/site/robsastropics/comets/comet-c-2011-w3-lovejoy
    • icoops22
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2012
        Hi Rob,

        thanks for the heads-up on this group BTW.

        I posted a report in IIS a little while ago regarding my trip over the mountains to beat our prevailing winds. A superb sky resulted in my detecting the tail out to Alpha Volantis at 14.00 U.T., length = 33.9 degrees. Once again beyond that I am very uncertain due to the brightening Milkyway in that vicinity of the False Cross .

        I found it relatively easy to see. The brightest section was where it passed through the brighter stars of Apus and Chamaeleon. I was even sure that I could see that part before the moon set.The darklanes in that region were easy to detect with the naked-eye, usually a good sign of transparency.

        My initial rendition of my two 10 minute guided exposures can be found at,

        http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=107013

        The two individual photos were taken with a Canon 10D, 35mm f/4.5 lens, 10 minutes on ISO 800 between 14.18 & 14.40 U.T. 2012.01.04.

        Cheers,

        Ian Cooper.

        Glen Oroua,
        Manawatu, North Island,