RE: [comets-ml] Tail still long

  • David Seargent
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2011
      Hi Rob and all,
      Yes, I did put down a couple of wrong numbers (lack of sleep I guess). Still, it does not make a very great difference. The revised length comes out at 39 degrees ... and this time I checked the numbers! The end appeared to be near Theta Carinae, visible with averted vision only in "flashes". Perhaps it was averted imagination, but I think it was real.
      Cheers,
      David

      To: comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
      From: rmn@...
      Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 14:09:35 +1100
      Subject: Re: [comets-ml] Tail still long

      On Sun, 1 Jan 2012, David Seargent wrote:

      > The tail has cleared the brightest part of the MW and this morning
      > (Dec. 31. 1600 UT) I'm sure that I could trace it with averted vision
      > into Carina; a length of (wait for it!) 45 degrees! The sky was very
      > clear with a limiting naked-eye magnitude of around 6.5 or better.

      Hi David,
      I'd doubt this will be correct. My photos show the tail much more
      clearly than to the naked eye, up to 33 deg, just into Carina,
      but I can't trace it crossing the dark zone to the SE of eta Carinae.
      45 deg would take it over theta Carinae. Calculation error?

      Check my fish-eye shot from this morning at

      http://msowww.anu.edu.au/~rmn/C2011W3.htm

      I'll reorganise this page in the next few days.

      Cheers, Rob