2011W3 - Dec 28.7 & 30.7 UT

  • Vello Tabur
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2011
      My last observation of Comet Lovejoy was a couple of days ago, on Dec
      28.7 from Boorowa, NSW. Sky conditions were poor, with sky glow from
      several nearby towns readily apparent in the moisture-laden atmosphere.
      The comet was still visible with direct vision but was fainter than the
      SMC and nearby Milky Way stars clouds. Best views were with averted vision.

      I've only just gotten around to processing the images. I had several
      problems, including focus-drift at different altitudes while I took
      images for a mosaic. The tail clearly extends to the Coalsack region, as
      the following images show.

      http://users.tpg.com.au/vtabur/2011w3/2011w3.htm

      I did observe briefly from my backyard this morning (Dec 30.7). The tail
      was not visible to the naked eye. Since I got out of bed for a quick
      look, perhaps there is a correlation between near nakedness of the
      observer and comet visibility :-)

      Vello
    • John Drummond
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2011
        Exceptional images on your website Vello. What a comet it’s been. Thanks.

        John Drummond
        Possum Observatory Complex
        International Astro Union Code: E94
        Gisborne, New Zealand
        E: 177d 53', S: 38d 38'
        Email: john_drummond@...
        Website: www.possumobservatory.co.nz

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2011
            Vello, thanks for posting!

            A nice memory for the all too brief display of this comet.

            Terry
          • Rodney Austin
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2011
              You'll be able to dine out on this one for a while though! I imagine your
              smile is still quite wide.
              Rod