Comet Lovejoy's 38 degree tail

  • John Drummond
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2011
      Hi,

      this morning (2011 Dec 26, 15hrs UT) I imaged what I thought was beyond the end of Comet Lovejoy’s tail with a 70mm Sigma lens at f2.8 and with a Canon 500D DSLR. I combined four x two minute exposures (piggybacked). For orientation, b-g Crux are at the upper right, b Centauri is at lower right, e Cen is at mid-lower left. The tail is the faint, greenish hue starting at the bottom and going straight up to nearly the top – in my reckoning a tail length of 38 degrees!

      http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz/Tail_tip_crux-70mm_sigma_lens-f2,8-4x2min-111227-4am_NZST-drummond.jpg
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/78jp3nj

      Cheers

      John Drummond
      Possum Observatory Complex
      International Astro Union Code: E94
      Gisborne, New Zealand
      E: 177d 53', S: 38d 38'
      Email: john_drummond@...
      Website: www.possumobservatory.co.nz
      Images: http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz/latest_images-all-continuing.htm
      Phone (mobile): 0275 609 287

    • Bomber2 Panther
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2011
        Hi John,
        Thats interesting! I never got out this morning due to cloud, but i am gonna try tomorrow morning, again from Bendemeer.
        From my observation yesterday morning the tip of the tail was much more obvious using averted vision.

        Cheers!
        Chris Wyatt